Air fryer Thai Chicken Wings
These Thai Air Fryer Chicken Wings are seriously CRISPY! A quick 10-minute no chopping marinade and the skin is so unbelievably crisp. It’s hard to believe they aren’t deep fried and are so easy to make. The recipe comes with air fryer and oven instructions. Give these Air fried Thai Chicken Wings a try and you’ll be converted for life!
Thai Air Fryer Chicken Wings (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
I have to admit that I’m particularly fond of Asian style chicken wings, for example my Chinese Chicken Wings and Malaysian Chicken Wings. I Heart Umami fans have shared both recipes more than six thousand times combined plus raving reviews so it’s time for a Thai Chicken Wings recipe!
What I LOVE about this Thai air fryer wings recipe is that it takes only 10 minutes to marinate. The wings are air fried to golden crispy with an unbelievably crispy skin. No wonder people love air fryer chicken wings because they make the best finger food and game day recipes.
Thai Chili Dipping Sauce – Jaew Sauce
The real flavor comes from the Thai style chili sauce, called Nam Jim Jaew. The Jaew sauce is a northern Isan style Thai chili sauce that’s wildly popular on the streets of Thailand and is probably the most common condiment served in restaurants. To keep it simple and accessible for my audience, I modified the recipe to make it Paleo/Keto/Whole30 and with all local ingredients.
Of course, you can dip the air fried Thai chicken wings in sweet chili sauce – that’s probably the most common Thai chili sauce we know in the west – but I want to show you how locals would enjoy these golden crispy Thai chicken wings because I know that my audience is a little different than others. You want to experience the most authentic flavor and in the meantime still keep it simple, low carb, and gluten-free. :))
Pro Tip: How To Make The Best Thai Chicken Wings In Air Fryer Or Oven
- It’s important to only marinate the chicken wings for 10 minutes total only. Any longer the flavor profile will change so please set a timer to help you keep it on track.
- Spray or lightly brush the air fryer basket with avocado oil so that the chicken wings are less likely to stick to the basket wire when air fried.
- Pat dry the wings and place them with a little space in-between. I do not recommend stacking the wings. For larger quantity, air fry the wings in separate batches.
- Flip the chicken wings at half baking point so both sides will be golden crispy!
How To Serve These Air Fryer Thai Chicken Wings
These Thai chicken wings are really great for many occasions and they do make fabulous finger food for sharing. I like to serve these air fried wings with my crispy Cauliflower Fried Rice and a chilled spinach salad.
Or do the casual party-platter style with the air fried wings, roasted cauliflower, mung bean sprouts salad, and my Keto Chinese Egg Rolls. You can check out more of my healthy appetizer recipes and my Whole30 Paleo Thai Recipes for more choices!
Save Time By Watching The Video First!
The best way to enjoy these air fried Thai chicken wings is to have the Thai chili dipping sauce next to the wings! Divide the sauce to individual serving bowls. You want to dip the wings in the sauce and take a bite and dip again and take another bite. Repeat the process and I guarantee they will be gone in minutes!
Air Fryer Lovers!
- Air fryer whole chicken
- Vietnamese air fryer chicken wings
- Air fryer teriyaki salmon
- Thai chicken satay
- Air fryer lemon chicken bites
- Air fryer honey sriracha chicken
- Chinese ginger scallion cod (yes you can “steam” the fish in an air fryer!)
- Healthy sesame chicken (baked or air fried)
- Soy ginger glazed salmon fillets
- More healthy air fryer recipes
Thai Chicken Wings In Air Fryer (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- 2-3 whole Thai red chili peppers, alt. 1 red serrano or fresno chili, optional
- 1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
- Lime wedges
- In a shallow pan/tray that’s just big enough to fit-in all the chicken wings, marinate the wings with fish sauce and sprinkle with pepper and cumin powder on both sides.
- Marinate the wings for a total of 10 minutes only. Flip after 5 minutes to marinate the flip side. Use a timer to help you measure the time. We only want to give the wings a little salty flavor. Any longer they will turn fishy. See notes if you don’t feel comfortable about this and want to skip the fish sauce marinade.
- Pat dry the wings with paper towel. Spray the air fryer basket with some olive oil so that the wings won’t stick to the basket wire. Place the wings in one layer with some gap in-between.
- Air fry at 400F for 10 minutes per side (i.e. 20 minutes totaor until both sides are golden crispy.
- In the meantime, prepare the jaew dipping sauce. Allow the dipping sauce to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. The flavor will deepen during the resting process.
- Sprinkle chopped chilies and cilantro, if using, over the baked wings and serve the lime wedges and jaew dipping sauce on the side.
- Pro tip – the best way to serve Thai chicken wings: divide the dipping sauce to each individual serving bowls. You want to dip the wings in the sauce and take a bite and dip again and take another bite. Repeat the process 🙂
- Instead of using 2 tsp fish sauce in the marinade, substitute it with 2 tsp coarse sea salt.
- Season the wings with white pepper and cumin powder. Same quantity as listed in the recipe.
- Use your hands to rub the salt, pepper, and cumin in the wings so they absorb the seasonings.
- Follow the rest of the recipe instructions.
- Serve the wings with the Jaew Thai chili dipping sauce.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Cook Time
For 1.25 lbs -1.5 lbs chicken wings, air fry at 400F for 20 minutes total. Flip at half baking point.
How To Cook Chicken Wings In Air Fryer
You want to pat the chicken wings dry first. Spray or lightly brush the air fryer basket with olive or avocado oil. Place the wings with some gap in-between so they will get air fried evenly.
Can You Put Foil In An Air Fryer
Yes! As long as the foil doesn’t touch your food. Line a layer of foil in the bottom of the basket and place the basket wire on top. Careful not to cover the air circulation holes in the basket.
Can You Stack Wings In An Air Fryer
I do not recommend it. Leave some space between the wings in an air fryer basket so that the air can circulate fully. Your chicken wings will be more crispy.
Pairings for Chicken Wings + More Chicken Recipes!
- Chinese Chongqing Chicken Wings
- Paleo Father’s Day recipes (Dad’s favorite dishes plus wings!)
- Asian carrot-celery slaw
- Chinese broccoli recipe (Fans’ favorite dark leafy green veggie!)
- Chinese New Year’s Recipe (a collection of popular Chinese New Year dishes to pair with the wings!)
- Crispy Thai Chicken Salad
- Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup
- Easy Chicken Pho Soup