Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup recipe with Chinese Napa cabbage, juicy chicken and shiitake. This instant pot chicken Napa cabbage soup is Paleo, Whole30 and Keto and ready in 20 minutes. Perfect for fall weather and colder months. Stovetop instructions included!
Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup – Healthy, Easy, and Cozy Delicious!
Cabbages are probably one of my top three favorite go-to vegetables. They pack with tons of umami and the flavor intensifies after you cook them. I’ve written quite a few cabbage recipes from Asian Chicken Cabbage Salad, Chicken Napa Cabbage Stir-Fry, Chinese Lion’s Head meatball stew with cabbage, to today’s Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup.
There are many chicken cabbage soup recipes on the net with various seasonings. If you are looking for a new exciting flavor, definitely check out my Asian-flavored cabbage soup made with shiitake.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot at home, I have a stovetop version you can find it here. It is a stir-fry recipe and you can easily convert it to soup by adding more chicken stock. Follow the same cooking steps below and adjust seasonings before serving. Simple and easy!
By completely coincidence I added a few chopped jalapeno before serving. Jalapeno is not a traditional ingredient you’ll find in Chinese cabbage soup but both my husband and I love the little spicy flavor punch. You can use them as a garnish to individual serving bowls so everyone can enjoy the soup based on their preference.
I highly recommend that you use chicken thighs for this cabbage soup recipe. Thigh meat will be more moist and tender than breast meat. Some people feel that thigh meat is too rich to the taste buds but in this case since the flavor is diluted with the broth, if you can, I recommend you give thigh meat a try.
So my dear readers this Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup is –
Umami flavor rich
Fall and colder weather friendly
& Paleo, Whole30, Keto
If you give this Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup a try, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. It’ll help me and my blog tremendously. Thanks in advance.
And if you aren’t a blog subscriber yet, be sure to subscriber to me blog and get my free video guide on how to make 10 Delicious Paleo Meals Ready in 10 Minutes Each!
Instant Pot Chicken Cabbage Soup with Chinese Napa cabbage and shiitake. Paleo, Whole30 and Keto friendly. Ready in 20 minutes. Stovetop instructions included!
- 2 lbs chicken thighs , boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 6-7 large cloves garlic , sliced
- 2 large shallots , sliced lengthwise
- 4-5 thin slices fresh ginger , finely chopped
- Half One Whole napa cabbage , about 6-8 heaping cups, dice to 2.5-inch sections, separate stems and leafy parts
- 5 to 6 oz. fresh shiitake , sliced
- Avocado oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp Red Boat fish sauce , optional
- 1 bulb scallion , chopped
- 1 whole red or green jalapeno , optional
- Season the chicken, prep aromatics, and dice napa cabbage and slice shiitake. Set them aside ready to use.
- In a 6-quart instant pot, press “Saute” and wait until the panel indicates hot, add 2 tbsp avocado oil and sear the chicken thighs about 3 minutes per side. Set the chicken aside.
- Add 1 to 1.5 tbsp cooking oil, saute garlic, shallots, and ginger until fragrant (about 20-25 seconds). Season with a pinch of salt.
Deglaze the pot with 1 cup chicken stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits. Press “Cancel”. Add chicken, shiitake, cabbage stems, and cabbage leaves on top. Seal the lid and valve, Press “Manual” and adjust cook time to 15 minutes. Once the Instant Pot is done cooking (it will beep) wait for 10 minutes (natural release) before switching to quick release.
- Season the broth with coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil. Taste and see if you like to add the fish sauce or more salt. Garnish with chopped scallions and jalapeno, if using. Serve hot or warm with sauteed cauliflower rice, roasted sweet potatoes, or any rice or sweet potato noodles for a gluten-free meal.
For a stir-fry version, check out my Paleo Chicken Cabbage Stir-Fry.
For a stovetop version, I recommend using a Dutch Oven. Follow the same cooking steps - season and sear the chicken in a large well heated soup pot or Dutch oven. You may also dice the chicken to bite size chunks first before searing them. Once the chicken are seared. Set them aside. Use the same pot to saute the aromatics. Deglaze with chicken stock and add stock liquid that's just enough to cover the chicken, mushrooms, and touches the cabbage stems. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage stems turn softer but not mushy. Add and stir-in the cabbage leaves toward the end of cooking process. Adjust the seasonings with more coconut aminos, fish sauce, or coarse salt.
Love more pressure cooker recipes? Check out my Instant Pot Vietnamese Beef Stew Bo Kho, Best Whole30 Instant Pot Recipes, Instant Pot Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Chinese Bone Broth, Taiwanese Meat Sauce, and Pumpkin Chicken Korma.