Frozen Salmon In Air Fryer
How to cook Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer is easier than you think! With only 3 simple ingredients, you’ll have tender flaky fillets with 0 prep time and ready in 16 minutes! Be sure to pair the salmon fillets with my creamy Bacon Aioli for a healthy and delicious easy weeknight meal.
Why this will be your go-to recipe
This air fryer frozen salmon recipe is the best! Not only does it make a perfect on-the-go protein choice, but it’s also a simple dish that’s easy and delicious.
- Flaky and tender! Moist and tasty salmon fillets with crisped skin on the edges.
- Convenient and fast! Perfectly cooked salmon in only 16 minutes with 0 prep time!
- No need to thaw! You do not have to defrost salmon in air fryer cooking. The fillets can be cooked frozen.
- No guesswork! I have outlined everything you need to know about the best times and temperatures.
Frozen salmon fillet in the air fryer is so easy and delicious that it will quickly become your go-to for busy weeknights. The best part is you only need a few ingredients to get started.
- For the salmon: Frozen Atlantic salmon (skin-on, about 5.5 oz and 1-1.5” thick), olive oil, and coarse sea salt.
- For the pairing sauce: While the bacon aioli sauce is optional, the ingredients are – Turkey bacon, mayonnaise, coarse sea salt, paprika powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and lemon juice.
For the best results, I chose to use frozen farm-raised Atlantic salmon for its high-fat content. A higher fat concentration lessens the chance of the salmon filets becoming too dry in the air fryer.
If you want fresh salmon in the air fryer (sockeye salmon with skin, perhaps?) I have listed the best way to cook fresh fillets below, similar to my Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer recipe.
- Fresh farm-raised salmon: 400° F (204° C) for 7-9 minutes.
- Fresh wild-caught salmon (a thinner filet than Atlantic varieties): 390° F (199° C) for 5-7 minutes.
How to make the dish
Can you air fry frozen salmon filets? You can! Cooking air fryer salmon from frozen is super simple. I will show you how to make frozen salmon in the air fryer the easy way. Follow my step-by-step instructions below for perfectly moist and tender cooked salmon that your whole family will love.
Preheat your air fryer to 400° F (204° C) for 5 minutes and gather your ingredients.
- Arrange salmon: place the frozen salmon in the air fryer with skin side down—Cook for 9 minutes.
- Oil and season: Open the fryer basket, spray the salmon filets with oil, and season with sea salt. Continue to air fry for 7-8 minutes.
- Checking for doneness: Once the salmon is done cooking, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- (Optional) Serve with bacon aioli sauce: Assemble your sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve the air fry salmon with the sauce.
Salmon cooking temperature
The time and temperature used to cook frozen salmon in air frier will depend on the thickness of your filets. For this salmon air frier recipe, I use frozen salmon filets that are 1-1.5-inch thick.
When cooking frozen salmon in air fryer, it’s more important to pay attention to the internal temperature to measure the doneness as opposed to the cooking time.
According to the FDA, salmon is considered done when the internal temperature (at the thickest part of the fillet) has reached 145°F (62.7°C). With this said, I like to cook my salmon to 125°F to keep the fillet moist and tender (source).
I love to air fry frozen salmon fillets; it is the perfect healthy dinner. Salmon is also ideal for trying new things. Get creative! Try the fun twists and variations I have listed below.
- Dijon mustard: For a tangy flavor that pairs well with garlic and lemon.
- Lemon slices: Top fillets with sliced lemon for traditional seafood flavor.
- Maple Syrup & Honey: A great way to add a splash of sweetness
- Seasonings: Mix things up by trying different flavor ideas; Cajun and blackened seasoning pair perfectly with salmon.
- Sauces: Try a different sauce for a new experience each time. My Keto Teriyaki sauce is savory and just a little sweet. For my paleo friends, my Paleo Teriyaki Sauce and Paleo Gochujang substitute are crazy delicious!
My frozen salmon air fryer recipe will give you perfect salmon every time, but what’s a meal without a side dish? Here are some excellent ideas to get you started.
- Soup and salad starters are always a great idea, and my authentic keto egg drop soup or Chinese cucumber salad will be sure to please.
- If you want a vegetable side to go with your salmon, I promise you my bok choy stir-fry or baked sweet potato with miso butter is unlike anything you have ever tasted!
No. You do not need to thaw before you airfry frozen salmon.
The cook time depends on the thickness of the salmon fillet. The cooking times for air fried frozen salmon in this recipe are based on filets that are 1-1.5” thick.
The amount of time is dependent on the thickness of the salmon. For a 1-1.5” thick filet, cook at 400°F for 7-9 minutes.
Fresh is always best. But this air frying frozen salmon recipe tastes fantastic and is super convenient, making it a great alternative when fresh salmon isn’t available.
Leftover salmon can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- You can cook salmon filets frozen; no need to defrost them first.
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of the salmon filet used. Follow my suggestions as a guide.
- The same recipe works for skin-on or frozen skinless salmon in air fryer
- Experiment with seasoning blends and sauces, make it your own, and have fun!
Frozen salmon in air fryer recipe
To air fry salmon from frozen:
- 2 pieces farm-raised frozen Atlantic salmon, skin-on and at 5.5 oz (156gram) per fillet, about 1 to 1.5-inch thick (2.54cm to 3.81cm) fillet
- Spray Avocado oil
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt
For the bacon aioli: (optional)
- 3 slices turkey bacon, or pork bacon
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼+1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, about half of one whole lemon juice
To cook the salmon from frozen:
- Preheat the air fryer, following your air fryer default setting. I have a 6 qt. Cosori air fryer and the default is 400°F(204°C) for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray the fryer basket with oil. Place the frozen salmon fillet skin side down directly into the basket. Air fryer at 390°F (199°C) for 9 minutes.
- Open the basket and spray the salmon fillet with a thin layer of oil and season with a few sprinkles of salt directly onto the fillet. Air fryer at 390°F (199°C) for another 7 to 8 minutes.
- According to FDA, the salmon is done when the thickest part of the fillet reaches 145°F (62.7°C). However, for more moist salmon fillets, we like to cook them at 125°F (52°C).
- Drizzle a few spoonfuls of the bacon aioli sauce over the fillet, if using, and serve with extra sauce on the side.
- Instructions for bacon aioli.
To cook the salmon from fresh (thawed)
- Air fry at 400F for 7 to 9 minutes. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the fish and your appliance. Mine was done at 7 minutes for medium-rare and 8 minutes for medium.
- I chose to use frozen farm-raised Atlantic salmon for its high-fat content. A higher fat concentration lessens the chance of the salmon filets becoming too dry in the air fryer.
- If using fresh farm-raised salmon: 400° F for 7-9 minutes. If using fresh wild-caught salmon (a thinner filet than Atlantic varieties): 390° F for 5-7 minutes.
- When cooking frozen salmon in air fryer, it’s more important to pay attention to the internal temperature to measure the doneness as opposed to the cooking time.
- According to the FDA, salmon is considered done when the internal temperature (at the thickest part of the fillet) has reached 145°F (62.7°C). With this said, I like to cook my salmon to 125°F to keep the fillet moist and tender.
- The nutritional label is estimated without the bacon aioli sauce.
Made a dish and love it? Please remember to rate the recipe and leave a comment in the comment section below! It helps my blog grow organically so I can continue sharing free and awesome content with you. Thank you!