Easy Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry with Garlic Sauce
Easy Chinese Broccoli stir fry (kai lan) with garlicky sauce is an easy way to add dark leafy greens to your This simple Chinese Broccoli Stir fry is Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, Keto, and low carb! You can swap Chinese broccoli for broccolini or any vegetable stir-fry you like, using the same recipe!
Good for you dark leafy green – Easy Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry
Chinese Broccoli is probably one of my favorite vegetables out of many Asian greens. It’s a great way to add dark leafy greens to our meal and goes well with any savory main dishes.
How to stir fry Chinese Broccoli (AKA Gai Lan or Kai Lan)
There are 2 methods to make Easy Chinese Broccoli stir fry.
1. Hot water blanch and shock in cold water first or
2. Sauté directly without blanching.
The blanch method (before stir-frying) helps remove bitter taste that some Chinese Broccoli might have. Sauté directly without blanching, which is what I did in the recipe below, is quick but if you aren’t used to having Chinese broccoli I recommend blanching the vegetables first.
Simple garlicky sauce – 2 ways
There are 2 ways to make a simple garlicky sauce for stir fry vegetables. You can use the same method for almost all Asian greens. How amazing, right?
You can either thin slice the garlic cloves and sauté the slices with the oil to make a fragrant garlicky oil or make crushed or grated garlic and stir fry with the vegetables.
The first method requires a bit extra care with your stove top temperature so that your garlic won’t get burnt. The second method gives stronger garlic flavor.
You can use the same stir fry method for almost any Asian leafy greens. I highly encourage you to try out new vegetables in your local Asian grocery stores. They are usually low in price so chances are it won’t break your bank. Just be sure to give the veggies a good rinse before using them.
So my readers, this Easy Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry (kai pan stir fry) is –
Paleo, Whole30, Keto
& a great way to add dark leafy greens to your meal!
If you give this Easy Chinese Broccoli stir fry a try, be sure to tag @iheartumami.ny on Instagram.
Want more of my simple and super delicious Asian-inspired Paleo, Whole30 and Keto recipes? Be sure to subscribe to my blog to make 10 healthy meals in under 10 minutes each.
Easy Chinese Broccoli Stir-Fry with Garlic Sauce
- Cut off the Chinese broccoli bottom stems (about 1-inch) away and discard. Make another cut to separate stems from leafy parts. The stem parts should be roughly about 2 to 2-½ inch length. Slice the stems in diagonal shape. If desired, cut the leafy parts in half or leave them as a whole. Wash and rinse the stems and leafy parts separately. Set them aside to drain in separate bowls.
- In a well heated large skillet (or wok), add 2 tbsp cooking fat. Statue the stems over medium-high heat until they turn bright green color (about 2 minutes). Season with ¼ tsp coarse salt. Add grated garlic and use a wooden spoon to break and coat the garlic over the vegetables.
- Add leafy parts. Quickly toss and scoop the stems and garlic over the leaves. Cover with a lid. Lower the heat to medium. Cook for about 3 minutes until the leaves turn dark green color. Season with ¼ tsp coarse salt. Give a quick toss. Off heat, transfer to a large plate.
- Season with toasted sesame oil and coconut aminos. Serve hot or cold.
What goes well with my Easy Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry? Check out my Chinese Zucchini and Olive Stir-Fry, Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken, Instant Pot Taiwanese Meat Sauce with crispy shallots, Whole30 Mongolian Beef, and Thai Basil Beef Steak Stir Fry.