Air Fryer Salmon Teriyaki Recipe
You’ll love this Air Fryer Salmon Teriyaki Recipe that cooks in under 8 minutes! The air fried salmon comes out perfectly juicy tender with a sweet caramelized keto teriyaki sauce crust on top. Pair it with shirataki fried rice and a big bowl of spicy Asian greens for an easy and delicious weeknight meal!
Whether you use store-bought teriyaki sauce or prefer a Paleo Whole30 version of teriyaki glaze, you can follow my simple recipe, along with me best tips and tricks to make the best air fried salmon teriyaki!
Salmon Teriyaki with a Sweet Caramelized Crust On Top! (air fry or stovetop)
Today’s recipe comes with an air fryer and a stove top instructions. Who knew air fryers are perfect for making salmon. The fish comes out flaky and juicy every single time and with a gorgeous brown crust on the outside. With minimal hands on time and easy clean up, this air fried salmon teriyaki recipe might just change your mind to eat more salmon!
Keto Teriyaki Salmon Marinade – Keto Teriyaki Sauce!
This airfryer salmon recipe comes with a keto teriyaki sauce, sweetened with monk fruit brown sugar. My low carb sugar-free teriyaki sauce tastes just like the real thing but low carb and sugar-free. With grated ginger, garlic, and dash of apple cider vinegar, it is the best teriyaki salmon marinade for keto followers.
If you are doing a Whole30, use my Whole30 teriyaki sauce!
How to marinate salmon for teriyaki?
- To marinate the salmon: add the sauce without the xanthan gum (i.e. the thickener) to marinate the salmon so that the fish can soak up all the delicious flavor.
- To glaze the salmon: after marinating, thicken the sauce on a stovetop and brush the glaze over the fillets for a sweet shiny finishing touch!
You can use the same marinade for Teriyaki Chicken, too!
Why Making Salmon In An Air Fryer?
- It’s fast. The air circulates in the air fryer yields perfectly cooked juicy salmon in minutes. I still love searing salmon on the stovetop but when time is short, air fried salmon is the new way to go!
- The salmon is juicy tender. It’s an easy way to make perfectly juicy fish at home. You don’t need the perfect technique or the right saute pan. Just send it to a basket and turn up the dial.
- Caramelized sweet outer crust. The salmon is marinated with teriyaki sauce. The keto sugar caramelized beautifully in the air fryer with a golden brown sweet crust!
- No oil splatter. Less mess. Since everything is contained in a basket, it won’t heat up your kitchen and the only thing you need to wash is the fryer basket.
How To Make Teriyaki Salmon In An Air Fryer
- Marinate the salmon with teriyaki sauce, skin side up, for 15-20 minutes
- Line the basket with a thin layer of parchment paper or an air fryer liner.
- Place the fish, skin side down, in the basket and with some gap between the fillets.
- Air fryer at 400F for about 7-9 minutes. Check after 7 minutes.
- Thicken the teriyaki sauce on a stovetop and brush it over the fillets.
How to know if salmon is cooked in air fryer
To know if salmon is done in air fryer, the fish will be nearly opaque when cut into, at 120F (49C) at the thickest part. You can peek into the thickest part with a sharp knife or fork. It should flake easily, but still has a little translucency in the center.
Keep in mind that salmon fillets come in all shapes and sizes. The thicker the cut, the longer it will take to cook.
How long should I leave my salmon in the air fryer
Cook at 400°F (204°C) for about 7-9 minutes. Check after 7 minutes.
How do you keep salmon from sticking in the air fryer
Line the air fryer basket with a thin layer of parchment paper or an air fryer liner.
How do you know when salmon is done in air fryer
120°F (49°C) at the thickest part of the salmon fillet. It should flake easily with a fork, but still has a little translucency in the center.
Tips for the best Air Fryer Salmon Teriyaki Recipe
- Use fish with skin on.This will keep more fish more juicy.
- Buy fish with similar sizes and thickness so the cook time will be similar.
- Marinate the fish for 15-20 minutes. Don’t marinate it overnight or too long. The meat will turn mushy.
- Place parchment paper in the basket to keep the salmon from sticking!
- Place the fish skin side down in the fryer basket.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket.
- Set the cook time a little less time than you think until you become more used to the timing of your appliance. The fish gets cooked quickly in the fryer. 1 minute makes a difference!
Which air fryer do you use?
I originally had two air fryers – gourmia (a 5-quart) and cosori (a 6-quart). I had been using the gourmia air fryer but it’s an older model that’s no longer available on the market and recently it quit on me.
The cosori air fryer has great reviews on amazon and it is the one I’m using currently.
What to serve with Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
Air fryer salmon teriyaki is a wonderful healthy protein meal to pair with Smashed Cucumber Salad or Chinese Broccoli Garlic Sauce. The flaky buttery sweet salmon also makes a great topping for a big bowl of salad like Paleo Kale Salad, Japanese Potato Salad, or Mandarin Orange Salad.
They are so quick and easy to prepare and taste sweet juicy delicious.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Thai Chicken Satay
- Crispy Thai Chicken Wings
- Chinese “Steamed” Cod
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Paleo Air Fryer Recipes
- Air fried lemon chicken bites
- Soy ginger glazed salmon fillets (air fry or pan sear)
- 7 air fry eggs recipes
What goes well with Teriyaki Salmon in Air Fryer
Salmon teriyaki tastes sweet and savory. It pairs well with a big plate of leafy greens like my Chinese broccoli recipe stir-fried in garlic sauce, air fryer brussels sprouts with maple lemon glaze, or Asian cucumber salad. You can also pair it with a big bowl of soup that’s full of vegetables like my easy hot and sour soup, tomato egg drop soup, or chicken egg drop soup.
This airfryer salmon teriyaki recipe is a perfect example of how to cook healthy and easy dishes with great flavor. The keto teriyaki sauce is gingery and garlicky and the sauce caramelized beautifully in the air fryer. Let the fish marinate for 15-20 minutes and air fryer for 7 to 9 minutes. While it’s in the air fryer, thicken the marinade on the side into a glaze that you brush over the fillets – a true healthy and delicious meal ready in no time!
Air Fryer Salmon Teriyaki (Easy, Keto, Sugar-Free)
For the teriyaki sauce:
- Follow this keto teriyaki sauce recipe instructions to prepare the sauce but do not add the xanthan gum thickener. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Teriyaki salmon marinade:
- In a small baking tray or casserole dish that’s just big enough to fill in all the salmon pieces, pour over ⅓ cup of the teriyaki sauce and marinate the fish skin side up for 15-20 minutes.
Air fried the salmon:
- Line the air fryer basket with a thin layer of parchment paper or an air fryer liner. Slightly drip off the marinade and place the fish, side skin down, in the basket and with some gap between the fillets. Discard the marinade.
- Air fry at 400F for 7 to 9 minutes. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the fish and your appliance. Mine was done at 7 minutes for medium-rare and 8 minute for medium.
- To thicken the teriyaki sauce, take ¼ cup of the sauce and add it to a small sauce pot. Bring it to a low simmer. Gradually and slowly sprinkle in 1/8 tsp xanthan gum while whisking at the same time to prevent clumps.
- The fish will be nearly opaque when cut into, at 120F (49C) at the thickest part. You can peek into the thickest part with a sharp knife or fork. It should flake easily, but still has a little translucency in the center.
- Transfer the fishes to a plater. Glaze the salmon with teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and scallions. Remove the skin before serving. I recommend serving them warm.
- Marinate the fish as written in the recipe.
- In a nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Place the salmon flesh side down in the pan, then immediately reduce to medium. Cook, undisturbed, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Using a wide metal spatula, carefully flip the fillets, then cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the thickest part of the fillets reach 120°F or are nearly opaque when cut into, about another 5 minutes for 1-inch-thick fillets or about 8 minutes if 1.25-1.5 inches thick.
- Select fillets that have the same thickness.
- Set the cook time a little less time than you think until you become more used to the timing of your appliance. The fish gets cooked quickly in the fryer. 1 minute makes a difference. You can also open it while it’s cooking and pop it back in to make sure it’s not overdone.
- I have a Cosori 6 quart air fryer.
Also check out my Whole30 Salmon with Gochujang Glaze, Thai sweet chili salmon recipe, Crispy salmon fillet recipe, Smoked Salmon Salad , Paleo Salmon Cakes, Chinese Soy Ginger Glazed Salmon, or my Pescatarain Recipes archive.