Malaysian Style Crispy Chicken Wings (Paleo, Whole30)
Paleo and Whole30 Malaysian Style Crispy Chicken Wings is slightly spicy and tangy. Easy healthy baked chicken wings. Perfect party food.
Recently, I fell in love with watching (American) football.
You might ask – Duh, what’s not to like ?!?
Well, this is all kind of new to me as a girl who grew up in Taiwan. I went from not getting the fun of football to it becoming one of my top go-to entertainment solutions. I can’t wait for super bowl season so I can watch the games, enjoy the halftime show (Beyoncé please!) while eating my crispy chicken wings !
This is my first Paleo and Whole30 friendly crispy chicken wings.
These wings are a little bit different than most of the recipes online. Instead of dashing the wings with dry seasonings and coating with glossy sauce after baking, I opt for marinating the wings first then baking them to crispy golden brown.
To pair with these finger licking crispy chicken wings, I decided to go with a slightly spicy and tangy dipping sauce that’s lighter than sriracha, easier to make, and insanely addictive.
The dipping sauce will also go well with other chicken recipes like baked chicken fingers or oven roasted chicken. The sauce is meant to be a bit runny so if you like it thick, add a teaspoon of arrowroot powder or sweet potato powder to thicken it.
So my friends, be sure to watch and share the 1-minute video below on how to make Crispy Chicken Wings and next time when you hang out with friends (and watch football), you’ll have a delicious and healthy plate of crispy chicken wings to impress everyone !
My Crispy Chicken Wings (Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 ½ lbs chicken wings
- White sesame seeds, optional
Marinade group A:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb size fresh ginger
- 1 red fresno or serrano chili pepper, remove seeds
- 1 large shallot
- Half pear, or 2 tbsp apple sauce
Malaysian-Inspired Chili Dipping Sauce (blend everything together in a food processor/blender):
- One whole roasted red bell pepper
- Half of one whole red fresno or serrano chili pepper, remove seeds
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- In a food processor/blender blend “Marinade Group A” until smooth. Add ingredients under “Marinade Group B” pulse a few more times until smooth. Pour the marinade over chicken wings. Coat it evenly and store in the fridge overnight to absorb the flavor.
- Preheat oven to 420F. Drip off and discard the marinade. Place wings on a lined wire baking rack over a large sheet pan. Bake 1st for 20 mins. Carefully and gently flip them wings and bake for another 20 mins.
- Remove the wings from the oven. Lightly brush them with Malaysian dipping sauce. Send them back to the oven and to High Broil for an additional 1 to 2 mins. Watch it like a hawk to prevent them from burning.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Serve hot & immediately with chili dipping sauce.
- The dipping sauce is meant to be a bit runny so if you like it thicker, heat the sauce in a small sauce pot with 1/4/ to 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder or tapioca starch to thicken it.
- To make ahead - 1) Marinate the wings and 2) Pre-make the chili dipping sauce and store in the fridge.