Keto Shrimp Avocado Salad With Cucumbers
A big, juicy Keto Shrimp Avocado Salad recipe that’s low carb and oh-so-refreshing!! Tossed with a fresh zesty lime dressing, a terrific almost no-cook meal with a stellar combination of flavors. This shrimp salad with avocado is what I called a summer in a bowl!
Food like this signals we are in full summer swing! We’re 10 days into over 90F daily. With the heat and the moisture in the air, this low carb shrimp and avocado salad with cucumbers and tomatoes is the magical answer to beat the heat wave. What a great summer salad to feed a crowd!
The jumbo juicy shrimp with perfectly ripe avocados? They are like match-made in heaven. They are meant to be! If you’ve ever never made this combo together before, you’re in for a real treat! Almost no cook. Guarantee delicious!
What is shrimp avocado salad?
My take on keto avocado and shrimp salad has persian mini cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, shallots, and fresh lime juice. Some people said it’s quite similar to ceviche but it has no raw fish and the shrimp is poached to tender juicy!
This summer in a bowl shrimp and avocado salad is bright and colorful and will pair beautifully with low carb summer recipes served at BBQ cookouts.
What type of shrimp should I use for the salad?
- I prefer wild caught large or jumbo shrimp. They are meaty and juicy. My local store sells peeled and deveined shrimp and that makes the whole process a lot easier.
- Frozen shrimp is okay. You can use either tails on or off.
How to poach shrimp?
The shrimp is lightly poached to perfectly tender juicy. It’s super easy to make –
- Bring a pot of water to boil, then
- Simmer the shrimp over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Soak them in a bowl of cold water.
- Set aside to drain and toss with the seasonings!
How to make Keto avocado shrimp salad
This almost no-cook Keto shrimp recipe is seriously perfect for a hot summer. Find a big bowl, add the ingredients, and toss and serve!
- After you poach the shrimp, add it to a big bowl with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, shallots, and avocado.
- Drizzle with lime juice, olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
No mayo and ready in minutes. I call that a win!
Can I make ahead of this dish?
Yes! But only if you finish it the next day or no more than 2 days.
To make ahead, add everything to a mixing bowl except for the cilantro and avocado. Let it sit in the fridge and the flavor will develop further – extra zesty and cold!
Add the avocado and cilantro right before serving. Easy peasy. 🙂
Tips for the best Shrimp Avocado Salad
- Butterfly the shrimp first, please! I know it’s one extra step but I guarantee the shrimp will taste extra juicy and delicious.
- I prefer using wild-caught raw jumbo or large shrimp. Peeled and deveined ones will be the easiest, either tails on or off.
- Lightly poach the shrimp but don’t over cook it or it will turn rubbery.
- Select ripe but still a little firm avocados. The avocados should give a little when you gently press it, but not too soft.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe for a large crowd.
What to serve with the keto avocado and shrimp salad?
This keto shrimp salad recipe with avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes could easily be served all on its own because it really does make a complete meal. But if you want a little extra something to nibble or serve alongside. Here are my picks:
- Grilled Peach Avocado Salad
- Pasta Shrimp with Zuchini Noodles
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe
- Shirataki Noodles with Paleo “Peanut” Sauce
- Thai Chicken Fried Rice (Shirataki rice)
- Tsukune (Japanese chicken meatballs)
More refreshing salad recipes
- Tatsoi Salad Recipe
- Japanese cucumber salad
- Smoked Salmon Salad
- Mandarin Chicken Salad
- Japanese Potato Salad
- Gomaae Spinach Salad
- Paleo Asian Coleslaw
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Asian cucumber salad
- Asian chopped salad with chow mein noodles
- Paleo Salad Recipes
This Keto Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe is summer in a (large) bowl! A terrific almost no-cook meal with excellent flavors and textures. All ready in under 20 minutes and it really doesn’t take much doing to prepare. This dish tastes so good that no one needs to know it’s also low carb, keto, paleo, and whole30! 🙂
Keto Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe
- 0.75 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on or off
- 8 oz. persian mini cucumbers, chopped
- 5 oz. cherry tomatoes, slice in half
- 1 oz. shallot, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- ⅓-½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Halt to one whole lime
- ½-1 tsp coarse sea salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
To poach the shrimp:
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add a pinch of salt. In the meantime, butterfly the shrimp by inserting a small paring knife into the back and cut nearly all the way down the center of the shrimp’s back to the tail.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the shrimp. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir the water often.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the shrimp and soak in a bowl of cold water. Once they are cool to the touch, set aside to drain.
To make the shrimp avocado salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients from shrimp to black pepper. Toss and season with more salt or lime juice to taste.
- Store it in the fridge to allow the flavor to develop further, about 10-15 minutes. Serve cold.