Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry
Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry. This sizzling Paleo stir-fry shrimp in tomato ketchup sauce is very popular in China and Taiwan. Pair This Paleo shrimp recipe with cauliflower rice for a low-carb and easy meal. Best of all, it’s absolutely delicious!
If you love homemade takeout, you’ll also love my General Tso Shrimp and shrimp scrambled eggs!
Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry 蝦人番茄炒蛋 is a staple Chinese and Taiwanese food. Anyone who grew up in Asia will recognize this dish. It’s many people’s childhood comfort food.
Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry is versatile, quick, and absolutely delicious ! In fact this Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry has become one of the most popular lunch menu item in fast-paced Hong Kong because it’s so quick to put together !
2 ways to make this dish
Traditionally you’ll find this Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry in two different styles –
- Eggs with tomatoes only, or
- Tomato with shrimp stir-fry only.
If you can’t have shellfish, make eggs with tomato stir-fry only in yummy paleo ketchup sauce.
If you can’t have eggs, make tomato and stir-fry shrimp.
What I love the most about this Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry is that the shrimp are gently poached and then stir-fried in tomato ketchup sauce. It’s sweet and tangy and is the perfect paleo stir-fry Shrimp recipe.
How to make stir-fry eggs silky
- Add arrowroot slurry to the beaten eggs. This will create a nice moisture seal in the egg mixture and, in combination with the cooking tips below, will make the stir-fry eggs silky.
- Use a well-greased cast iron skillet or a ceramic non-stick skillet. It will be easier to make the scrambled eggs soft and silky.
- Pay attention to the stovetop temperature. If the eggs seem to get cooked (become solidified) too fast lower the temperature.
So my friends this Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir-Fry is –
Sweet and tangy
& Paleo, Whole30 friendly!
If you give this Paleo Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir Fry a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate the recipe. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #IHeartUmami on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. XOXO!
Chinese Shrimp Tomato Stir Fry
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Poach the shrimp. As soon as they turn pink (about 5-6 seconds in hot water). Rinse them under cold water and set aside to drain.
- In a well-heated cast iron or ceramic non-stick skillet, add 1.5 tbsp ghee and swirl the oil around the skillet. Lower the heat to medium/medium-low, add the egg mixture and stir into a soft scramble egg. When the eggs are about 50-60% cooked (about 2.5-3 minutes), set aside.
- Add 1 more tbsp ghee, saute diced tomatoes with chopped garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and saute for about 10 seconds. Add shrimp and egg back to the skillet. Coat the shrimp with eggs and tomato sauce.
- Give them a quick toss (about 5-6 seconds). Garnish with green parts of scallions and 1-2 tsp toasted sesame oil. Serve in room temperature or slightly chilled with cauliflower rice or steamed rice (for gluten-free).
- To make this dish without shrimp, skip step 1 and follow steps 2 to 4 for silky egg and tomato stir-fry.
- To make this dish without eggs, skip step 2 and follow steps 1, 3, and 4 for shrimp tomato stir-fry.