Chicken with olives and squash
Easy Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry with squash and green olives. This Paleo, Whole30, and Keto Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry is full of flavor and healthy delicious. If you love zucchini, squash, and olives, don’t miss this flavorful stir-fry recipe!
Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry – easy and full of flavor!
This is a rewrite of an older recipe that I shared a few years ago when I just started the blog. Olives are not a common ingredient used in cooking where I grew up but nevertheless the first time I tasted them I immediately fell in love. There are so many types of olives and I particularly love Castelvetrano green olives.
Green olives such as Castelvetrano olives aren’t too salty and they taste smooth and buttery. Quite often I’ll buy an entire jar of pitted Castelvetrano olives and enjoy them as little snacks with some fruit or add them to my lunch salad. So I thought why not add these gorgeous green olives to chickens stir-fry. I bet they’d bring so much flavor to any dishes!
This chicken zucchini stir fry is so simple because we use olives to enhance the flavor there’s no need to add stir-fry sauce. The zucchini and yellow squash turn naturally sweet once they are cooked down a bit, combined with the juicy flavorful chicken. I have a feeling this chicken zucchini stir fry recipe will become one of your favorite go-tos.
How to make tender flavorful chicken breast stir-fry
Oh hey! If you are new to my blog, you’ll quickly find out that stir-fry dishes are my signature go-to. From chicken broccoli stir-fry, Chicken Napa cabbage stir-fry, easy beef broccoli stir-fry, Whole30 Mongolian beef stir-fry, Thai basil beef stir-fry, Chinese pepper steak, Chinese sesame chicken…etc. The list can go on-and-on and there will be more to come. If you love stir-fries as much as I do (or maybe you want to bring your stir-fry chops to the next level), definitely check out the article I wrote on 7 stir-fry mistakes every home cook should avoid.
So my friends, next time when you are in the grocery next, be sure to grab some chicken (breasts or thighs), zucchini, yellow squash, and green olives. Toss them in the wok or skillet and within half an hour (or even shorter) you’ll have a lovely plate of my Chicken Zucchini Stir-Fry, plus extra for the next day’s lunch!
This Chicken Zucchini Stir-Fry is –
Paleo, Whole30, and Keto friendly!
If you give this Chicken Zucchini Stir-Fry a try, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe. It’ll help my blog tremendously. And if you share on Instagram, tag @iheartumami.ny I would love to see it! Thanks in advance!
Paleo Chicken with olives and squash
- Avocado oil, or ghee
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped garlic cloves
- ⅛ tsp red chili flakes, , optional
- 2 medium size zucchini
- 2 medium-small yellow squash
- ¼ cup + ½ cup Green olives such as castelvetrano olives, , pitted
- Thin slice chicken breasts to a little thicker than ⅛-inch thin. Season with coconut aminos, arrowroot, baking soda, pepper and salt, and olive oil. Gently mix well and set aside in the fridge while preparing other ingredients.
- Dice zucchini and yellow squash to triangle cube shape that’s a little larger than ½ inch at widest point. Try your best to dice them to similar sizes. Finely chop garlic. Set the ingredients aside.
- In a well-heated large stainless steel skillet or cast iron, add 2 tbsp cooking fat. Sear the chicken breasts in one even layer in the skillet over medium-high heat without disturbing until they are in golden brown color (about 3 mins.) then use a fish spatula to flip and sear the flip side (about 2 mins.). The chicken should be almost cooked through before setting them aside along with the pan juice and oil in the skillet.
- Use the same skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add 1.5 tbsp cooking fat. Add garlic and chili pepper flakes. Season with a small pinch of salt and saute until fragrant (about 8 seconds). Add zucchini and yellow squash, season with another pinch of salt, keep sauteing until the squash turn softer but not mushy (about 4-5 mins.). Your skillet should not be watery at this point. Add ¼ + ½ cup pitted green olives and chicken to the skillet. Keep stir-frying until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Serve hot or in room temperature with broccoli or cauliflower fried rice, mashed sweet potatoes, or steamed rice for a gluten-free meal!