Paleo Thai chicken meat sauce with goji berry rice !
I recently started incorporating some steamed short-grain white rice into my diet. After almost cutting it off 30 days from my diet, I feel pretty fine with it.
I’d never recommend eating only a bowl of rice instead, add 2 to 3 tbsp of rice mixed with veggies and proteins – or better my Thai chicken basil meat sauce – should be a good balance. :))
The sweetness of the berries and dates add superb aroma and color. Be sure to check out my method and secret ingredients below!
P.s. If I weren’t following the paleo diet today, this rice recipe might just become the only thing I eat all day long. :))
The Thai chicken meat sauce with basil goes extremely well with the rice. It’s so easy to make and to scale up the quantity for an entire family to enjoy.
It requires no meal prep and like many of my recipes, it tastes even better the next day!
Oh, don’t forget about the fried eggs. It’s a must !! Just make sure that the saute pan is sizzling hot when you fried the eggs so they will be really golden and crunchy.
Hmm…. I can totally have another plate of this now. 😀
Meat sauce cooking time: 20-25 mins
Rice cooking time: About 50 mins (from electric rice cooker for 2 cups of rice)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken meat alt. Turkey
- 1 cup onions or shallots thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic sliced
- 4 pieces fresh red chilies
- 1 ½ tbsp dry chili peppers
- 1 cup Thai basil alt. italian basil
- 3 tsp sea salt to season meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large fried eggs
- 3 tbsp Coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger powder
- 2 cups short grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- Handful of dry goji berries
- 3 to 5 Chinese dry red dates unpitted (alt. medjool dates)
- 1 cup scallions chopped finely
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Combine 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of water, goji berries and dates in a rice cooker. Follow the cooking instructions.
- Mix chopped scallions, sea salt, and olive oil. Give it a gentle stir and set aside.
When the rice is ready, fluff it with a wooden spoon and remove the Chinese red dates.
- Fold the ingredients from Step 2 to the rice. Give it another gentle stir to make sure that all ingredients are combined well. Set aside to let the rice come to room temperature.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium size soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When the pot is hot, add sliced garlic and dry chilli pepper, fresh red chilli pepper with 1 tsp of sea salt to fragrant the oil. About 30 seconds.
- Add ground meat and use a wooden spoon to further break up the meat into finer pieces.
Season with 1 to 2 tsp of sea salt.
- When the meat starts turning white (half cooked), add the “sauce combo” & continue to stir the meat sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the heat down to medium or medium/low and cover the pot with a lid. Cook until the meat is completely cooked through. Add a bit more water if necessary.
- Before serving, fold in basil leaves to the meat sauce. Top with an egg and rice & Enjoy!