Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes
Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes are the best leftover turkey or chicken recipe after thanksgiving. Healthy and easy mashed sweet potato cakes or patties will become your go-to recipe after thanksgiving!
Golden Delicious Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because the weather usually is much cooler (I like colder weather 🙂 and it also means Christmas is just a few weeks away! There’s a cheerful and cozy feeling in the air as soon as November comes.
Last year this time, I shared a thanksgiving leftover (AKA day after thanksgiving recipe) – Paleo Creamy Chicken or Turkey Kale Soup. So many of you have tried that recipe and have said it’s one of your favorite go-to winter comfort food. I’m so happy to hear that. :))
So for this year, what would go well with that creamy chicken kale soup? I thought of a mini savory cake recipe made with cooked and mashed sweet potato plus finely chopped turkey or chicken and nutritional yeast will bring boring holiday leftovers a brand new life!
These Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes look so cute, almost like arepa shape. The outer tier is golden brown crispy yet the inside is super soft and moist. It’s a wonderful way to use up cooked turkey or chicken and mashed potatoes! How neat!
How much flour should you use to make sweet potato cakes?
Sweet potatoes or yams come in different moisture level. For example, Japanese yams tend of have a fender recite than jewel or garnet yams. Also if you whip the potatoes with milk, the consistency will be even more watery. Adjust the amount of flour in the recipe below based on your mashed potatoes. It should feel moist but not too wet to form round disk shape.
I’m not a fan of cranberry sauce. There I said it 🙂 It’s often too sour it too sweet to my taste. Be that as it may, my friend Michelle at NomNomPaleo has a wonderful Cranberry-cherry sauce I highly recommend you use that as a dipping sauce if you don’t already have a sauce ready at home.
So my dear readers, these Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes are
Super easy to make
Cheesy, sweet, yummy
And they make the best thanksgiving leftover recipe!
If you give these Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes a try, be sure to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also hit that social share buttons and pin to as many boards as you like. It’ll help me and my blog tremendously. Every little share helps! Thanks in advance and wish you a very happy holiday season! Xoxo
Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes
- Finely chop/pulse cooked turkey or chicken in a food processor until they are very finely chopped.
- Combine turkey with mashed sweet potatoes, scallions, nutritional yeast, and salt. Taste a small bite to adjust salt seasoning before adding an egg.
- Use your hands to mix them well and sprinkle with 3 tbsp cassava flour to make the potato mixture less sticky or wet (see notes). The potato mixture should still feel moist but not too wet to form shape.
- Use a ¼ cup to form about 10 sweet potato balls and carefully press the balls between the palms of your hands to slightly flatten them into roughly ½ -inch thick discs. Use your hands to gently patting along and smooth out the edges.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet (or well greased cast iron) with 2 tbsp oil. Pan fry the cakes over medium to medium-low heat for about 3 minutes per side until both sides are golden brown. Do this in separate batch so to not overcrowd the skillet. Add more oil if necessary.
- Serve hot or in room temperature.
What goes well with my Sweet Potato Cakes? Check out my Paleo Asian Chicken Cabbage Salad, Paleo Beef with Broccoli, Taiwanese salt and pepper popcorn chicken, poprcorn meatballs, and Paleo Mongolian Beef !
Find more easy Thanksgiving recipes here.