Paleo Popcorn Meatballs
Paleo Popcorn Meatballs, Asian style ! These Paleo Popcorn Meatballs are my latest meatball invention – perfect finger and party food for the holidays, game-day gatherings, or everyday indulgence !
If you love juicy inside and crispy outside Paleo Popcorn Meatballs, there’s one thing you must do –
Hit the play button and watch the 1-minute video tutorial below.
My in-house guest mastered these Paleo Popcorn Meatballs in 10 minutes despite the fact that she has no cooking experience.
Can you roll the meatballs faster than she does ? You’ll have to watch and find out. 🙂
Tips on making Paleo Popcorn Meatballs, Asian Style
Type of Meat
Use ground chicken thigh or at least 50% breast, 50% thigh to keep the meatballs juicy.
If you can’t find ground chicken thigh, aside from grinding the meat yourself, mix ground chicken or turkey breast with veal, pork, or beef to add some good fat and moisture.
Sweet potatoes or arrowroot powder? Are they interchangeable ?
Arrowroot powder gives the meatballs a bouncy texture when you bite into it whereas sweet potato starch powder gives a light and airy texture to the outer crust after pan frying.
If you can, use both types of flours separately – arrowroot for binding the ingredients and sweet potato for dusting. I found this combination makes the most juicy inside and crispy outside Paleo Popcorn meatballs.
Refrigerate the meatballs 10-15 minutes before dusting as demonstrated in the 1-minute tutorial above.
Yes it does add a bit to the total cooking time but the results are much much better. It will help the meatballs form better and reduce the need to add extra starch flour.
Make Ahead Method
Since these Paleo Popcorn Meatballs are perfect for parties, if you want to make them ahead and save time (so you can hang out with your guests), I’d recommend that you finish the entire cooking process, let the meatballs cool down, and then freeze them. Just reheat in the oven at 420 ℉ /216 ℃ for 10 minutes total (flip them after 5 minutes for even baking).
To make these Paleo Popcorn Meatballs taste authentic, salt and white pepper will do the trick. I, however, always love a bit of east meets west, and these Paleo friendly ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce will go superbly well too !
If you give this popcorn chicken meatballs a try, leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Paleo Popcorn Meatballs
- 2 tbsp sweet potato flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup oil of your choice to pan fry the meatballs
- Combine all ingredients listed under “meatballs”. Mix well.
- Dust a bit coconut flour over a large baking tray. Form 25 1-inch size meatballs. Refrigerate the meatballs for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbsp sweet potato flour and 1 tbsp coconut flour. Lightly coat each meatball with the flour.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a dutch oven or large frying pan. When hot, lower the heat to medium and pan fry the meatballs in separate batches until they are golden brown and cooked through. Drain over paper towel.
- Serve hot with fine sea salt and white pepper or your favorite dipping sauce !