Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream
No Churn Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream is made with maple syrup and homemade black sesame paste. It’s creamy and delicious. This vegan-friendly black sesame ice cream tastes nutty and milky delicious. Best of all it’s no churn and simple to make!
Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Black sesame ice cream is a really popular ice cream flavor in Japan, Taiwan, and China. It tastes nutty and milky delicious no wonder it’s a popular dessert served in many Japanese restaurants.
What is black sesame paste (AKA black tahini)
Black sesame paste is made from toasted black sesame seeds. This 2-ingredient paste is made with toasted black sesame seeds and honey. You can also use the paste to make a black sesame latte.
In the recipe card, I also include a link to a store-bought version that’s made in Japan. Japanese black sesame paste is roasted and the consistency is quite thick.
Healthy and Fun Sweets for Halloween (Adults and Kids friendly)
To deepen the color of the Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream, I added a few sprinkles of activated coconut charcoal powder. This ingredient is completely optional. If you are interested to give the ice cream a more goth look, coconut charcoal powder will deepen the color and makes it Halloween perfect!
How to make no churn nice cream
When I did a brief instagram survey with my followers, more than 50% of people don’t have an ice cream machine at home. There are many ways to make no-churn ice cream (or nice cream) and I found the easiest way to make it creamy rich is by whipping and stirring the batter every 15-20 minutes until you reach a soft serve consistency. For the size of my container, it took me about 2-3 hours. The result is absolutely milky nutty delicious!
Optional topping – Strawberry Compote
Since this Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream recipe is published around Halloween, I decided to make the ice cream decor a bit spooky looking. The sweet and tart flavor of strawberry compote actually gives a nice flavor balance to the maple-flavored black sesame. It’s sweet, tart, creamy delicious!
So my dear readers, this Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream is –
& Creamy delicious!
If you give this Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream a try, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe. It will help me and my blog tremendously! Thanks so much in advance.
Want to incorporate more healthy and easy recipes to your daily meal? Subscribe to my blog to learn how to make 10 delicious Paleo meals in less than 10 minutes each.
Black Sesame Coconut Milk Ice Cream recipe
- 14 oz. full fat coconut cream, , chilled overnight
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup black sesame paste
- ⅛ tsp coarse salt
- ⅛ tsp vanilla powder, , optional
- optional topping Easy Strawberry Compote
- Blend the chilled coconut cream, maple syrup, black sesame paste, salt, and vanilla powder in a high speed blender for about 1 minute or until creamy smooth.
- Note: Different brands of sesame paste as different consistency. The Japanese brand I use has pretty thick consistency that's almost similar to nut butter paste. Please watch the video first. You can also scroll up the post to see the sesame paste photo. Also, different brands of full fat coconut milk have different consistency. Some have less cream (i.e. more liquid in the can) than others. I used to use Whole Food's canned full fat coconut milk and that was what I used in the video but lately I discovered that WF changed the consistency to quite thin so I had to modify the recipe to Whole Food's 14 oz. coconut cream for a thicker consistency.
- Pour into a metal bowl or freezer safe container. Distribute the batter evenly and smooth the surface. Cover the bowl and store in the freezer. Stir with a silicone spatula every 15-20 minutes to prevent ice crystals from forming. The ice cream will become more firm after about 2-3 hours in the freezer. For best texture, eat within the same day.
Love healthy sweets? Also check out my Keto Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Crepes, Blueberry Lemon JamThumbprint Cookies, Korean Purple Yam Latte, Paleo Pumpkin Protein Muffins, Easy Strawberry Chia Pudding, and Vietnamese Banana Coconut Tapioca Pudding.
Just made this and it’s absolutely divine!
I had to change the method to work for me since it did not freeze in 2 hours. Instead of mixing it every 15 minutes, it had to be mixed every 40 minutes over the course of 7 hours (not really difficult since I work from home, I just set an alarm) and frozen overnight.
Also, the consistency is more like a sherbet than ice cream, which I like as it’s lighter and grittier – I think that’s mostly due to the coconut milk/cream I used being more watery than creamy.
For me, it was well worth the wait, I REALLLLLY miss black sesame ice cream! 😆
Thanks for the lovely recipe, Chihyu! 💕
Thanks so much for sharing, Ivee! I’ll leave a note on the recipe card about this. Thank you for your tip. I so appreciate it!
Wow!! I’m always so inspired by what you do. Incredible – that you provided a dairy free version too which is just what I need! ?
This is simply stunning, and I bet it tastes better than it looks!
Oh, man! This looks absolutely delish. I can’t wait to make this. YUM!!
Black sesame is so underrated outside of Asia, especially in dessert. This looks absolutely incredible and I love the colour you achieved.
Thanks, Irena ! I totally agree! It’s so nutty delicious!
I love when people think of things I would never think of — seeing a photo of something I hadn’t imagined till that moment. This. Beautiful and enchanting!!!
Hehe, Thanks, Megan! Black sesame ice cream is quite popular in Asia. I’m so happy I made a dairy-free version! :))
Ok seriously this is SO cool! I have never heard of black sesame ice cream! My tween is going to think this is amazing – it is getting harder to impress her with fun real food these days 😉
Haha. Thanks, Renee! Yup it’s quite fitting for Halloween !
Black sesame is one of my favorite flavors! This ice cream looks amazing and I know I’ll love it.
I had a feeling you’d know this recipe. Thanks, Jean!
This recipe is so creative and sounds absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try it!
This So cool to look at!! A fun Halloween themed ice cream too! I love sesame flavor, so am betting this would be awesome!