Whole30 Korean Beef Bowl
Easy Whole30 Korean Beef Bowl with savory and sweet Korean bulgogi sauce. This Whole30 ground beef recipe is easy to make and great for meal prep!
I absolutely adore Korean Bulgogi Beef Bowl. Whenever Nate and I visit Korean restaurants, Bulgogi is one of our go-to dishes! It’s savory and has a hint of sweet flavor.
What is bulgogi?
Bulgogi came from the Korean word bul-gogi (불고기), consisting of bul (“fire”) and gogi (“meat”). It’s a Korean-style grilled or roasted dish made of thin, marinated slices of beef or pork grilled or stir-fried in a skillet. Korean bulgogi reminds me of Chinese Mongolian BBQ.
What is bulgogi sauce flavor?
In my opinion, bulgogi is savory and with a hint of sweet and onion flavor. I recommend marinating the ground beef or thinly sliced beef 1 day in advance so the meat will be extra flavorful. If you are rush on time, marinate the meat for at least 20 minutes.
How to make bulgogi
To make Paleo and Whole30 Korean Beef Bowl (bulgogi) is very simple. You can use thinly sliced sirloin/rib eye, ground beef, or shaved steak. Marinate the meat with coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, garlic, salt, apple juice (for little added sweetness), thinly sliced shallots, and onion powder. Set the meat aside for at least 20 minutes before pan-frying in a skillet.
Simple things to make with ground beef
There are many ground beef (meat) recipes on my website and they are all Paleo and low carb and great for dinner and lunch!
- Keto Bulgogi Sushi Rolls
- Paleo Asian Meatballs (with ground beef)
- Thai Larb (Thai minced meat and herb salad)
- Instant Pot Taiwanese meat sauce
- Paleo Japanese hamburger steak
Meal prep & pairing suggestions for Whole30 Korean Beef Bowl
This Whole30 Korean Ground Beef Bowl is perfect for meal prep. The meat tastes even better after marinated overnight. You can also store it in the freezer. Defrost a night before in the fridge and pan-fry it over a skillet.
You can pair this Whole30 Korean Ground Beef Bowl with baby leafy greens, roasted butternut squash/sweet potatoes, and a poached egg. You can also serve it with steamed rice for a gluten-free meal or stuff the ground beef Bulgogi with paleo tortillas for Bulgogi tacos. The possibilities are endless!
Want more beef recipes?
- Paleo Beef and broccoli
- Paleo Mongolian Beef
- Chinese pepper steak
- Thai basil beef stir-fry
- Crispy sesame beef
- Keto ground beef recipe with worcestershire sauce
- How to make beef stir-fry tender
If you make this Whole30 Korean Ground Beef Bowl recipe, be sure to rate the recipe and leave a comment.
Whole30 Korean Beef Bowl (Paleo, Low carb)
Whole30 Korean beef bowl bulgogi seasonings:
- 1 lb. ground beef or thinly sliced sirloin/rib eye or shaved steak, (see notes)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, , grated
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 3 tbsp apple juice
- 2 large shallots, , thin sliced lengthwise
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1-2 bulbs scallions, , chopped
Toppings of choice:
- Roasted butternut squash
- Soft poached eggs
- Mixed baby leafy greens
- Season the ground beef with from coconut aminos to olive oil. Mix well and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a well-heated skillet, add 2 tbsp cooking fat and saute the marinated beef over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through. Break the meat into finer crumbles, if using ground beef, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer the sauce for another 2-3 mins. Taste test and make seasoning adjustments – more apple juice will make the dish taste sweeter, more salt, coconut aminos, or onion powder will make the dish more savory. Off heat, let the beef cool in the pan juice. The meat will soak up more flavor.
- Divide beef to individual serving bowls. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with butternut squash, eggs, and mixed greens. Drizzle the ground beef juice from the skillet over before serving.