This is part II of how to make eating zucchinis sexy and fun again and in this post I share delicious Korean Chilled Zucchini Sides – Hobak Bokkeum (also called Hobak Namul) !
Follow the link here for part I for this post – Zucchini Carrot Fritters with Paleo Sour Cream
What is Hobak Bokkeum (aka Hobak Namul) ?
“Hobak” means zucchini. “Bokkeum” means pan-fried. “Namul” means vegetable side dish.
Korean Chilled Zucchini Sides are so quick and ridiculously simple to put together. If you follow the steps below once, you’ll know how to make this dish next time without relying on the recipe.
It’s that simple.
Tips to make crunchy and refreshing Korean Chilled Zucchini Sides
- Similar to Part I of the zucchini post – Zucchini Carrot Fritters, please make sure you season the sliced zucchini disks with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes to remove as much water content as possible.
- When you sprinkle the salt over sliced zucchinis disks, use your hands to gently rub the salt evenly into each disk.
- The amount of salt sprinkled over the zucchini disks totally depends on the amount of zucchinis you use. A general rule of thumb is to sprinkle salt evenly and lightly over each disks.
- Try to slice the zucchinis to a little less than a quarter-inch thick per disk. If they’re too thin, the vegetables will turn mushy. If they’re too thick, the water content inside the zucchinis will be harder to bleach out.
- I tried making this dish using yellow squash and because the density of the yellow squash is different from that of zucchinis, although the same procedures were applied, the results were not as great.
- When stir-frying the zucchinis, aim on the side “under-cooked”, meaning turn off the heat as soon as you see the zucchini disks turn softer yet still remain firm/crunchy texture. This dish tastes best when it’s chilled.
If you follow the tips above as well as the recipe steps below, this is a wonderful side dish that the entire family can enjoy.
It will instantly add variety to your everyday home cooking.
Do you like to see more easy to make Asian-inspired Paleo side dishes ?
Let me know below. Your feedback will help me create more content for you !
Save this lovely pin to Pinterest for later !
Delicious Korean Chilled Zucchini Sides. Perfect Paleo side dish. A super easy and quick way to enjoy more vegetables. It will become one of your favorite side dish !
- 3 slice medium zucchini to a little thinner than a quarter-inch thick per disk.
- 1 ½ tsp fine sea salt for 3 medium zucchini
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped green scallions or more if you prefer
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds or more if you prefer
- 1 ½ tbsp avocado or coconut oil saute use
Sprinkle 1 ½ tsp fine sea salt over sliced zucchinis and use your hands to gently rub the salt evenly into each slice. Set it aside for about 20 minutes. This will help bring out the extra moisture from the zucchini. After 20 minutes, gently squeeze out the water.
Heat 1 ½ tbsp avocado/coconut oil over medium heat, when hot, lower the heat to medium-low, add zucchinis and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until the zucchinis turn slightly softer.
Add minced garlic, chopped green scallions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Stir-fry another 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Taste and see if more salt is needed.
Serve best chilled or in room temperature.