Kalbi Short Ribs Recipe
Paleo Korean Kalbi Short Ribs ! Delicious Paleo kalbi short ribs, marinaded in fresh fruit and savory coconut aminos. Perfect Paleo BBQ, Asian food recipe. There are two recipe versions for the kalbi short ribs to satisfy both Paleo and Whole30 users !
I can’t think of any other food that’s sweeter, more savory, and more super addictive than Korean kalbi short ribs. It takes practically no cooking skills to make (yup, I’ve found a shortcut to make them) and the entire family can sit around a big table and enjoy this finger licking, super cheerful and happy food.
The trick of the shortcut is to marinate them overnight if not 24 hours. The flavor was so great that my neighbor knocked on my door and asked what I was making!
To get started:
Kalbi Short Ribs Recipe
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 cup coconut aminos, or ¾ cup tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- Half one whole pear
- Half one whole kiwi
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped scallion
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tbsp chili pepper, optional
- sliced green onions
- toasted sesame seeds, optional
- toasted sesame oil
A night before (or a day before):
- In a food processor, puree half pear, half kiwi, and half small onion. Place the ribs in a deep container, meat-side down. Combine all ingredients (including honey) listed under “beef marinade”. Make sure the marinade covers all of the ribs evenly. Marinate overnight if not 24 hours.
Day of cooking:
- When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over high heat and cook both sides of short ribs until outside is browned/charred. Make sure to let the marinade drip off the meat before placing it in the pan. If there is too much marinade in the pan, the meat will be boiled instead of pan-fried and the meat will be less tasty.
- Finish cooking the short ribs in the oven (450 -475 F) until your desired doneness. Reduce the marinade sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat in a sauce pan. Reduce the sauce until it is sticky and slightly thick.
- Slice the beef and brush on some of the reduced marinade. Garnish with sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
Do you use Korean beef short ribs, or just regular beef short ribs?
You can use both! I used the regular ones. 🙂
I marinated these overnight and then cooked them in my instant pot for 40 minutes and they were amazing! My son said it was the best thing I have ever made!
I’m so happy to hear that. Thanks, Michelle!
I made these aip by omitting sesame oil and using ACV instead of rice vinegar. I also skipped frying them and just baked them on a wire rack and broiled them a bit at the end after brushing on the sauce. Sooooo delicious. Thank you!
You are so very welcome!
I’d like to make this for my whole 30. Can you suggest how to make it without the sugar?
I usually sub date paste for sugar.
This looks great, makes us wish we were that neighbor! Haha
Will definitely have your recipe shared! 😀