Zucchini Pasta Shrimp
Zucchini Pasta Shrimp with creamy avocado pesto sauce. This zoodles-with-avocado-pesto recipe is quick and perfect for summer. Zucchini noodles with shrimp can be made vegan, with shrimp, or with chicken. The whole family will enjoy this light and healthy Paleo Whole30 Keto Zucchini Pasta Shrimp!
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. I received the 3-blade spiralizer from OXO Good Grips. I love the quality of the spiralizer and wanted to share with you as well.
When weather gets warm and humid, all I can think about is no-cook meals or meals made in the Instant Pot. This Zucchini Pasta Shrimp recipe falls under the former category. The zoodles are tossed and coated in creamy avocado basil pesto. Pair the spiralized zoodles with poached shrimp for extra lean protein.
Zucchini Pasta Shrimp (or Chicken or Make It Vegan)
This Zucchini Pasta Shrimp recipe is very versatile. I use the OXO spiralizer to make long zucchini noodles. The recipe can be made completely vegan. Enjoy the zoodles with pesto alone or swap-out the shrimp for more vegan-friendly proteins.
The America’s Test Kitchen made an awesome video on how to poach shrimp and it’s super simple. Bring a pot of water to boil then add the shrimp, then remove the pot from the stove and cover it with a lid for 5 to 10 minutes. You can stop the cooking by soaking the shrimp in iced cold water like this recipe. The shrimp will be perfectly tender and juicy.
How To Make Zucchini Pasta – long zucchini noodles
- Cut off both ends of a zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half at the midpoint into two shorter tube sections.
- Secure the OXO spiralizer by pushing down the lever handle so that the bottom suction cup is secured onto a flat countertop. Select a blade size (⅛ inch for pasta spaghetti cut). Secure the zucchini and push it through the blade by rolling the hand-wheel handle.
- Line a large flat tray or bowl with paper towel to help soak up extra moisture from the zucchini noodles. You can lightly saute it with avocado or olive oil for 1-2 minutes or enjoy it raw like my Dan Dan “Noodles”, Paleo Japanese Cold Ramen, or Spicy Shrimp Paleo Spaghetti Noodles.
Note: When selecting a vegetable spiralizer I prefer that the machine is compact and has a good solid suction cup at the bottom. I own two spiralizers from different brands and the OXO spiralizer by far is my favorite. It’s lightweight and compact, and makes it easy to create long spiralized vegetable noodles.
You can sprinkle nutritional yeast over the Zucchini Pasta Shrimp or blend a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast into avocado basil pesto sauce to give the zoodles a lovely “cheesy” flavor.
This Zucchini Pasta Shrimp is so simple and literally takes no time to make. I don’t recommend making this dish ahead as the zucchini noodles tend to become more watery after spiralizing. It is also best to serve and finish the dish right away. In general, 1 medium/large size zucchini per adult serving.
So my friends this Zucchini Pasta Shrimp with avocado pesto is –
No prep/no cook
Pair with any protein you like
Paleo, Whole30, Keto
& can be made vegan
If you give this Zucchini Pasta Shrimp a try, let me know ! Leave a comment and rate the recipe. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #IHeartUmami on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. XOXO !
Zucchini Pasta Shrimp with Avocado Basil Pesto
- 2 large size zucchinis, spiralized
- 6-12 medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined, uncooked (optional)
Vegan Avocado Basil Pesto:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian basil
- Half to three-quarter one whole lemon juice
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Make zucchini noodles using a spiralizer. Lay the spiralized zoodles over paper towel in a large/flat tray or plate to soak up extra moisture. Store in the fridge while working on the pesto sauce.
- Blend all ingredients under avocado basil pesto until creamy smooth. You might need to scrape the side of the work bowl a few times.
- Toss the zoodles with avocado pesto sauce right before serving. The noodles will turn softer in the avocado sauce after a few minutes.
- If adding shrimp, bring a pot of water to boil then add the shrimp and remove the pot from the stove and cover it with a lid for 5 to 10 minutes. You can stop the cooking by soaking the shrimp in iced cold water. Place the poached shrimp on top of the zoodles or serve it on the side.
For more zucchini noodle recipes, check out Moroccan Spaghetti Meatballs with Zoodles, Dan Dan Sesame Noodles, and Paleo Cold Ramen noodles.
Zucchini noodles with avocado and shrimp! Yes, please! Good tip to add the nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour. Yum!
That avocado pesto needs to be on all the things! This looks absolutely delicious and so light! Perfect for this warm weather!
I don’t have a spiraliser – something I need to get sorted!
I love that creamy avocado sauce on the noodles and all your helpful tips for spiraling the zucchini!
SO excited to try this recipe!!
Just got a new spiralizer!!
Thanks so much. Looks delish!!!
Love those creamy and fresh noodles! Can’t wait to try!
Thanks so much, Cristina !
This pasta looks so incredibly vibrant, it just screams out healthy to me 🙂 What a beautiful light dish!
Thanks, Monique !
YUM YUM YUM !! I love how easy and delicious this is. Perfect for summer.
I love zoodles but have definitely fallen into a rut with how I cook them. Thank you for the delicious looking avo based sauce recipe!!
So very welcome !
Zucchini zoodles are my favorite and I’ve never tried them with shrimp! I can’t wait!
Thanks, Melissa ! You can definitely serve the shrimp or without !
I love zoodles! They are the perfect replacement for regular pasta!
I totally agree !
This looks so delicious! I need to get a spiralizer with all the zucchini I get from my farm share.
Spiralizer is a life saver for sure !
Very healthy meal. I would love to eat the avocado pesto with some wheat crackers. The zucchini noodles looks great. Love this recipe.
Your creamy avocado dressing is genius and SO delicious looking!!
Thank you so much, Megan !
This is the perfect lunch for my girls and I tomorrow! So hot here and I am not cooking! Thanks for the great idea!
Thanks, Renee ! I totally agree !
Woah this is making my creamy pasta dreams come true!! Love the avocado in the sauce!
Thanks, Joni ! love this no cook meal, too !
I am so late to the spiralizer, I’ve got to get one! These zucchini zoodles look so good with the vibrant avocado pesto. Such a yummy flavor combo and perfect with the shrimp!
Thanks so much, Emily ! Totally love how simple this zucchini pasta shrimp is !
simple and easy to make…I love shrimp!! Looks like a great way to enjoy them! I’d probably have to add red pepper flakes, lol!!
Yum, that pesto sounds like a dream! This looks like a perfect summer dinner.
Looks so colorful and very healthly. Great recipe for hot summer days.