This is a dish originally from Jiangxi, China. People in Taiwan fell in love with this dish and added Asian basil to amplify the flavor.
The aroma comes from a combination of sesame oil, soy sauce, and wine, hence the name 3 cup chicken. The chicken is marinated and sauteed until the sauce thickens. This dish is full of bold flavor and very appetizing.
Hint: To make authentic 3 cup chicken, you will need a good amount of basil to accentuate the flavor. Follow the instructions below and I guarantee this dish will become a regular in your recipe book !
Delicious homemade Taiwanese Three Cup Chicken !
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken thigh / cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp Avocado or olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 slice of red hot chili peppers
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp Coconut aminos
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 whole bunch basil (best Thai or Asian basil)
- 3-4 pieces Chinese dry red chili peppers optional
Heat avocado or olive oil in a saute pan when hot, add minced garlic and ginger for about 8-10 seconds until fragrant.
Add chicken and pan fry until the chicken pieces are in golden brown color.
Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, and tomato paste. Keep stir frying until the sauce thickens
- Mixe in basil leaves and red chili peppers and lightly stir fry before serving