Creamy delicious Paleo Oatmeal . No cooking required. These Paleo overnight oats can be made hot or cold. Gluten, dairy, grain, egg free, and keto vegan friendly. Healthy easy Paleo Breakfast Oatmeal with endless variety. Read on for this breakfast on the go recipe!
Creamy chilled deliciousness – Paleo Oatmeal
I’m quite into writing Paleo breakfast lately. And if they happen to be Whole30 and Keto hey I’d say go for it ! This No Oat Paleo Oatmeal is so simple to make. It can be served chilled or warm. Add any toppings you like to create endless refreshing variety !
No cook overnight Paleo Oatmeal
I selected ground flaxseed meal for my Paleo Overnight Oats. In my opinion flaxseed meal tastes better and has a nuttier texture than chia seeds. Flaxseed meal also has slightly higher nutritional value than chia.
Flaxseed and flaxseed meal (which is finely ground flaxseeds) are seeds so technically the seed itself will not trigger nut allergy however, there could be cross-contamination if the processing plant also processes tree nuts and peanuts. If you’re allergic to nuts, I found an online brand with peanut-free facility. You can order it here.
You can also learn more about flaxseed here.
How to make Paleo Oatmeal:
To make Paleo Oatmeal you’ll need:
- Ground flaxseed meal
- Dairy free milk (canned light coconut milk will give a creamier taste)
- Vanilla bean or powder
- Ground cinnamon
Soak the ground flaxseed meal overnight with milk of your choice. I highly recommend using light coconut milk from a can because it gives a creamier taste and the seeds can soak up more liquid overnight in the fridge.
The formula is about 3 to 4 tbsp ground flaxseed meal/serving x about 3 times of liquid. For example if use ¼ cup (4 tbsp) ground flaxseed meal, stir/mix with ¾ -1 cup canned light coconut milk and soak overnight in the fridge. Thin with more milk/liquid before serving.
Keep it simple – add any toppings you like
To add some crunch and extra good fat, I lightly pulse sprouted nuts with dates and store them in a mason jar as topping. Add fresh fruit, berries, extra dairy-free milk cream…etc. Voilà ! there you have a bowl of creamy delicious Paleo Oatmeal.
How to make Paleo Oatmeal breakfast on the go
Here’s what I usually do –
- Add the ground flaxseed meal in a mason jar
- Add diary free milk and seasonings such as vanilla bean powder and cinnamon powder.
- Stir well so the meal can bloom properly overnight.
- Seal the jar and store overnight in the fridge.
- Next day, thin and stir with more milk and a touch of sweetener of your choice (omit for Whole30).
- Add any fresh fruit or toppings you like.
This Paleo Oatmeal is –
Creamy cold delicious
Can be made hot or cold
Endless flavor variety
Keto Vegan friendly (adjust or omit sweetener)
If you give this Paleo Oatmeal a try, let me know ! Leave a comment and rate the recipe. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #IHeartUmami on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. XOXO !
Base of Paleo Oatmeal:
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
- ¾ to 1 cup canned light coconut milk, use ¾ cup for other dairy-free milk from a carton
- Ground cinnamon powder to taste
- Small pinch of pure vanilla powder, or ⅛ tsp vanilla bean
Optional nut crumbles: (lightly toss in a food processor. Store in glass jar)
- Sprouted nuts of your choice, almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews or a combination
- 1-2 pitted dates
Other optional toppings (feel free to swap, skip, and/or add your own variety):
- 1-2 tsp nut or nut-free butter of your choice
- Fresh fruit, apple slices, berries, bananas
- Finely shredded coconut
- Sweetener of your choice, honey, maple syrup (Omit for Whole30. Adjust sweetener for Keto and Vegan)
- In a 8 oz. mason jar, combine and stir-well all ingredients under ‘Base of Paleo Oatmeal’. Secure with a lid and store in the fridge overnight. This will be the base of your Paleo Oatmeal. If use vanilla bean, split the vanilla bean down its length and scrape out the seeds.
To serve chilled:
- The flaxseed meal will gel (bloom) further overnight. Stir and thin it with more milk until your desired consistency. Add any preferred toppings. Enjoy !
To serve hot and immediately:
- You can either reheat it over low heat in a small saucepan on a stovetop (stir and thin with more milk) or cook it without soaking overnight. Stir frequently until the flaxseed meal becomes more plump and silky texture.
Just made this after having it up on my tabs for weeks! All I had was hemp milk which I was hesitant about because I am not a fan of heated hemp milk. Overall I was super satisfied with how it turned out! I made it on the stove top and topped with a tahini honey mixture, cinnamon, peach, coconut, and toasted walnuts. :p I don’t recommend for people who aren’t up for weird goopy textures but a replacement to oats that is rich in fatty acids sign me up!
I love putting green apples on my oatmeal.
Me too, Megan!
Could this be used while also doing Whole30?
Hi Crystal, unfortunately no. Although the ingredients are compliant (with the except of the optional sweetener – honey) the idea of oatmeal doesn’t really fit into the suggested meal template so unless there are new updates to the program I wouldn’t say it’s Whole30 friendly. 🙂
I love paleo foods , these are so delicious and easy to make!
Lovely ! Thank you !!
This is totally my kind of breakfast and I’m loving the combination of flax seeds with coconut.
That’s awesome. Thanks, Molly !
Ooh… this flax seed porridge looks so yummy. I can’t wait to try it!
I totally love this Paleo Oatmeal too. Thanks, Meredith !
So simple which is perfect for a hassle free breakfast! I love the addition of the fresh fruit
Thanks, Carrie. Love refreshing breakfast for sure !
Yum! I love making flax porridge and your idea of pulsing the nuts and dates together. It’s a great alternative for people who can’t have grains 🙂
Thanks, Monique !
What a great way to enjoy the nutritional benefits of flax seed! It’s great to have a new paleo breakfast option!
Thank you, Cathy !
Can I use organic flaxseeds instead of flaxseed meal?
Yes. Please grind it first if they are whole seeds. You can use a coffee grinder too.
Sounds like an easy and nutritious breakfast! I’m going to have to try it out. 🙂
Thanks so much !
I can’t believe there are no oats in there! The flaxseed works perfectly and it’s so hearty!
Thanks so much !
I am not a fan of traditional oatmeal so this is perfect! Quick and easy! Love that you have a video too!
Oh the nut butter on top….swoon!
So simple I love it! I’ve been making it a night before and just let the jar sit in the fridge because I like mine creamy and cold! It does get a bit gloppy (the nature characteristic of flaxseed meal) but it doesn’t take away the taste!
Yes to this! Especially to the crumbly sprouted nuts on top!
This is such a great breakfast change up idea! My girls love this – that nut crumble topping is so amazing 🙂
Thank you for this recipe. I can’t wait to try it. Do you have a particular brand of light coconut milk you use? And where can I find vanilla beans?
I used to use wholefoods light coconut milk but now there are so many choices, nutpods are great. Califa creamer is great, too! If it’s too thick, just add a splash of more nut or plant-based milk if you like. 🙂
Yum!! This looks SO good! I am eager to try it!! I love flax…and the toppings will send this over the top for sure!
Thank you Tessa ! Appreciate it !