Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Super flavorful Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole recipe with thin sliced chicken breasts half-poached and half-baked in dairy-free milk cream. It’s creamy, rich, and cheesy tasting – just like your favorite chicken casserole recipe but Paleo Whole30 Keto friendly !
Simple Everyday Recipe – Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Nate and I discovered this chicken casserole recipe completely by coincidence. We were hungry and looking for something easy with minimal hands-on time. This Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole dish was invented based on what we had handy.
It’s creamy, super flavorful, and once you learn how to make this dish you’ll be able to make it by heart. And that to me fits everything that my blog is about – helping you re-envision the possibilities of truly flavorful food that makes you feel good yet with much simplified methods.
6 simple ingredients
The success of this Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole comes with 6 simple ingredients – Sliced shiitake mushrooms for an extra umami flavor boost, nutritional yeast to bring lovely cheesy flavor without dairy, and lightly seared thin cut chicken breasts to make it convenient for minimal hands-on time.
If shiitake mushrooms are difficult to find, baby bella and porcini mushrooms can be used as an alternative. Different mushrooms bring out different flavors so if you can, give shiitake mushrooms a try. It’s out of this world.
Don’t like mushrooms? You can still enjoy this dish. It will just be Creamy Chicken Casserole. That sounds pretty perfect to me too !
This Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole is
Quick | Easy
Paleo | Whole30 | Keto
Check out the behind the scenes video I did with my iPhone for a quick tutorial. Leave a comment after you’ve made the dish and be sure to follow me at my Instagram feed (@iheartumami.ny) where we make everyday simple flavorful healthy food that you can enjoy at home too ![embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhwcAsDjfw[/embedyt]
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- 1 lb. thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 large shallot, sliced to thin strips
- 4-5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ⅔ to 1 cup full fat coconut milk, stir-well + ¼ cup chicken broth
- Nutritional yeast
- Plus your favorite chicken dry-spice seasonings: mine is salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper powder, and dry thyme or dill weed
- Preheat oven to 400F. Season thin sliced chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper powder, and dry thyme or dill weed. Quickly sear both sides in a well-heated skillet with ghee to give a nice golden brown sear outside. Set them aside in a large baking casserole dish. The chicken doesn’t need to cook through at this point. We will finish cooking in the oven.
- Saute garlic and shallots with ghee or avocado oil until fragrant. Season with little salt to bring out flavor. Layer them over chicken breasts. Add coconut milk + little chicken broth. Spread mushrooms over chicken. Sprinkle nutritional yeast. Bake at 400F for 20 mins, then turn up the heat to 410/420F for additional 5-10 mins.
- Sprinkle with more nutritional yeast before serving. Serve with a side of simple salad and roasted potatoes for a complete meal.
- Tip: Feel free to swap chicken seasonings. The trick is to keep the seasonings simple. You want to enhance the flavor but to not over power it. :))
- Tip 2: Can’t find thin sliced chicken breasts? Butterfly them and lightly pound the breasts to about 1/4 -inch thick.
- Tip 3: For thicker sauce, scoop a few tablespoons of juice out of the baked casserole dish and thicken it with little arrowroot (or tapioca) if desired.
FOLLOW I HEART UMAMI ON INSTAGRAM and show us what you’re cooking in your kitchen !
Tag @Iheartumami.ny and hashtag #IHeartUmami
Add these yummy Whole30 and Paleo meals to your shopping lists !
Crispy Teriyaki Chicken (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
Best Whole30 Instant Pot Recipes
Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Kale Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
I thought this combination was great! I didn’t have any shiitake on hand but used baby Bella instead and added mushroom seasoning to the mix. This was simple and quick to throw together! I served on top of cauli rice pilaf and thought the coconut milk sauce complimented this very well!
I was worried the coconut milk would be overpowering but I was wrong! This is so yummy! I used 5.5oz can of coconut milk, but still
Plenty moist! I mixed the seasonings into the milk with 2t tapioca starch and poured over. ‘Sprinkled’ a almost 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and added some truffle dust! The subtle
Sweetness is irresistible! Thanks!
This looks great and I can’t wait to make it – but nutritional yeast doesn’t agree with me so I tend to avoid recipes that use it.
But I don’t want to skip this recipe! If I omit the nutritional yeast, will it still work? Should I replace the nutritional yeast with something else?
Hi Rolland, the nutritional yeast make the dish more cheesy flavor. It also helps thicken the sauce, too. Hmm…can you have some dairy like parmesan cheese or shredded cheese? If not, I recommend using ghee butter when you pan fry the chicken and use more coconut cream (and less liquid from the can). Let me know how that goes!
I made this last night for dinner. This is a keeper! Simple and delicious. My husband loved it too. He has Celiac so this will be added to our meal rotation. Thank you for your beautiful and tasty umami recipes.
Thanks so much, Linda ! I’m so happy to hear that and thank you for sharing !
Could you sub almond milk instead of coconut milk?
Hi Rachael ! It will not be as creamy and thick though. I recommend using full-fat coconut milk from a can. What you can do is to mix almond milk with some starch (like arrowroot powder) and use less milk quantity.
Thank you so much for the recipe! I needed a recipe to use up some rotisserie chicken, and I was able to adapt this recipe! I promise to make as written another time, but I wanted your readers to know that it’s easily adaptable! I sautéed the onion and garlic, next I sautéed the mushrooms, I added all of that back to the pan with shredded rotisserie chicken breast and added all the spices you recommended. I stirred in the coconut and broth and nutritional yeast, a little arrow root to thicken and so it became a full meal, I added some frozen peas. More nutritional yeast at the end and it was fabulous! I didn’t even serve it over anything. Thank you so much for the inspiration!
That’s so amazing to hear. Thank you for sharing Stacy !
I made this the other night and my family raved about it – my husband said it’s the best new recipe I’ve tried since starting my Whole30!! Thank you for a wonderful new addition to my dinner rotation!
That’s so lovely to hear. Thank you, Mary !
I’m all about creamy, rich, delicious and anything shitake mushrooms!! This looks lovely!
Thank you, Megan. Absolutely love this dish !
Looks so good! I’m going to stock up on all the ingredients and make this – thanks for posting!
You are so very welcome Jo ! Absolutely love this dish !
Made this tonight! It’s delicious!! Love your recipes!
That’s so lovely ! So happy to hear, Tracy ! XOXO It’s definitely a keeper !
Sounds pretty dreamy!! Pinning!
Thanks so much Tessa !