Paleo Creamed Spinach
Paleo Creamed Spinach – a creamy and delicious vegetable side dish to help you fall in love with dark leafy greens again !
Green is my favorite color. I was debating between sharing a paleo version of matcha green tea muffin or Paleo Creamed Spinach recipe for the upcoming St. Patrick’s day. Let’s just say I’m not much of a baker so it was obvious that I went with my specialties – savory and umami-packed yum dishes. :))
I know you probably are quite familiar with creamed spinach. But if you’ve ever wondered why your Paleo Creamed Spinach tastes not-as-creamy or gorgeous as the pictures on the web, I’m here to share a new way to make your Paleo Creamed Spinach truly gorgeous and creamy.
Read on below to find out how a few simple twists can transform this old time favorite.
My take on an old time favorite – Paleo Creamed Spinach
I tried out a few recipes online and, for some reason, none of them turned out as I had hoped for – beautiful vibrant green and none mushy spinach covered in a layer of white creamy sauce.
-The spinach would be overcooked without any texture.
-The cream would be tinted yellow-green.
-The sauce would be watery instead of creamy.
I followed the instructions to sauté the spinach then replaced heavy cream with coconut cream. Meh… it tastes good but I feel like my spinach is swimming around in a pool of tinted yellow-green broth instead covered in a layer of gorgeous snow white cream.
My instincts told me that perhaps I should quick boil the spinach and then squeeze out the water but to be honest…that seemed like a lot of work. :d
A few simple twists
I added baby bella mushrooms to give the dish a contrasting color and texture. You can use any other type of mushrooms you want – such as white button mushrooms or crimini mushrooms. Slice them into quarters (as opposed to thin slices), which give you a nice chunky, yummy bites.
Sauté the mushrooms and spinach separately and gently simmer the coconut cream (+ mix with ghee butter) in a separate small sauce pot so no ingredient will interfere with any-other.
All you have to do is combine them at the end. Give it a quick toss and…voila you’ll have a plate of gorgeous Paleo Creamed Spinach. :))
Now I’d love to hear how you usually prepare Paleo Creamed Spinach. Do you use different methods or seasonings ? Tell me below so I can learn from you as well !
Paleo Creamed Spinach
- 6 cups spinach, , washed and roughly chopped
- 0.75 oz baby bella mushrooms, , quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, (half amount to saute mushrooms, half amount to saute spinach)
- 2/3 cup coconut cream, (use ½ cup for less coconut flavor)
- 1 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- Olive oil, ghee, salt, black pepper
- Saute mushrooms: Heat 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil in a large saute pan (or dutch oven). When hot, lower the heat to medium. Add half amount of chopped garlic, season with a small pinch of salt. Saute until fragrant (about 5-10 seconds). Add quartered mushrooms. Season with another pinch of salt. Keep sauteing until the mushrooms turn slightly softer. Add 1 tbsp stock to the saute pan to help stir-frying. Set aside. If there’s any liquid left in the saute pan, dump the water.
- Saute spinach: Heat 1 ½ to 2 tbsp ghee in a large saute pan (or dutch oven). When hot, lower the heat to medium. Add the rest amount of chopped garlic, season with a small pinch of salt. Saute until fragrant (about 5-10 seconds). Add spinach. Keep sauteing until the spinach turns slightly wilted but not mushy. Season with another pinch of salt. Set aside. Discard the liquid in the saute pan.
- Warm up the sauce: In a medium size saucepan, uncovered, gently warm up ⅔ cup coconut cream with 1 tbsp ghee. Stir occasionally until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Combine mushrooms and spinach. Pour the sauce over. Give it a gentle toss. Optional – serve with toasted almond slices or lemon zest if desired.