Mom’s Paleo beef stew !
This is the second post I’ve written for instant pot users and – it just so happens – it’s also the second post I’ve written for Taiwanese Paleo beef stew/soup.
It’s always so interesting to see older posts and realize how much my writing and recipes have evolved since last year.
The reason I call this post A short cut to my mom’s beef stew – instead of Taiwanese beef stew is because to make it “authentic” it you need a few special ingredients – rice wine and bean paste (or a type of store-bought Taiwanese BBQ sauce), but making it 100% authentic isn’t necessary to make it 100% delicious!
That’s why I still was able to pull together a delicious and deep-satisfying pot of stew to which my mom would give a thumbs-up.
I replaced the star anise with five-spice-powder because I want my readers be able to enjoy this delicious beef stew without using hard-to-find ingredients.
I use boneless short ribs this time but if you’d like to use a different cut of beef with more tendon and muscle, I’d recommend cutting them into chunks first and adjusting cooking time to an hour to make sure that the meat will be tender and fall apart.
For those of you who love meal prep, this stew will taste even more flavorful the day after. You can serve it with baked yam/sweet potato or my personal favorite: cauliflower mash.
And if you’d like to turn it into zoodle soup, taste the stew liquid and see if you’d like to dilute the stew liquid first by adding a few spoonful of hot water.
So my dear readers, here’s a toast to A short cut to my mom’s beef stew and I highly recommend you give this simple yet super flavorful beef stew a try.
Love Pinterest? Click the Pinterest bottom to your left (or to the top of your mobile screen) and save more and beautiful Pinterest friendly pins to as many boards as you like !
This is a recipe for Instant Pot/ Pressure Cooker. My mom's version of Taiwanese beef noodle soup without the noodles. Paleo and Whole30 friendly.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs slice to chunks
- 1 large yellow onion roughly diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red chili pepper remove seeds and diced (I use serrano chili pepper)
- 2 1-inch ginger chopped
- 1 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 medjool dates
- 2 cups mushrooms or more if you like select mushrooms with woody flavor like shiitake. I use sliced portobello caps and maitake mushrooms today
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp 5-spice powder
- 4 large loose carrots sliced to larger chunks
- 3 medium size tomatoes roughly diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil saute use
- Sea salt to taste
- 1-2 stalks Scallion sliced to 3-4 equal parts.
- Select “Saute function” on instant pot. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil. When hot, add ingredients under “aromatics”. Season with a small pinch of salt. Keep stirring the ingredients with a wooden spoon to prevent the ingredients from burning. Saute until fragrant.
- Add sliced beef chunks. Keep stirring and scooping until the beef is lightly browned.
- Turn off saute function. Add ingredients under “Seasoning”, carrots, and tomatoes to the pot. Close the instant pot lid and make sure it’s in sealed position.
- Select “stew” function - 35 mins (for 2 lbs sliced beef chunks).
- When the cooking time is finished, wait for natural depressurization to prevent rough/chewy beef texture.
- Slice scallion into long thin strips and soak in ice cold water for crispy/refreshing texture.
- Before serving, add 1tsp sea salt to the soup broth and serve with thin sliced scallion.