Vietnamese Aromatic Egg Wraps !
I’m in the middle of filming a new episode. Let me give these wraps a taste test…one bite…Wow! Burst of flavor dancing in my mouth.
I can taste the mint, basil, lime, savory mushrooms and juicy meat.
I couldn’t stop eating. Let me turn the camera off just for a few seconds to take one more bite.
Ever get the feeling that you couldn’t stop eating even though you’re full?
That’s how insanely delicious these Vietnamese Aromatic Egg Wraps are.
These Vietnamese Aromatic Egg Wraps are my latest interpretation of Vietnamese Bánh Xèo.
On the surface it looks like meat filling wrapped with fried eggs and lettuce however, the magic begins the moment you take a bite.
One bite and you are hooked for another and another.
WARNING: Vietnamese Aromatic Egg Wraps = Stuff your face with wraps. 🙂
Here’s how you’ll enjoy the dish –
– Brown the meat of your choice (I prefer ground chicken or turkey),
– Pan fry some golden-delicious turmeric eggs, crispy shallots, and
– Wrap the entire thing with ice cold lettuce and fresh mint/basil and dip in with my interpretation of Vietnamese Nuoc XXX dipping sauce.
Oh and before I forget to mention it, I discovered the best Paleo and Whole30 friendly Vietnamese Nuoc Cham dipping sauce that’s closest to the real thing! And I’m not talking about using coconut sugar or honey as substitution.
Be sure to watch my cooking demo below on how to incorporate this insanely delicious dish into your weekly meal prep & watch to the end where I show you how to eat the Vietnamese Aromatic Egg Wraps like a local pro.
Cheers to good food and happy eating !
- ¾ lb ground turkey breast alt. Ground pork or chicken
- ½ lb shrimp peeled & deveined (optional)
- 1 large shallot thin sliced to long/lean shape
- 5 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 stalks chopped scallion separate white & green color parts
- Half one whole lime
- Half one whole lime zest
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Water
- 6 eggs
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk from a can stir-well before using
- Butter lettuce or Iceberg lettuce
- Handful of mint and basil
- Seedless cucumber sliced (optional)
- Cilantro optional
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil - pan fry shallots
- 1 tsp ghee - pan fry egg wraps
- Combine ground turkey with meat seasoning. Mix well. Set aside in the fridge.
- Make filling: Heat a saute pan with 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil. When hot, add sliced shallots. Pan-fry until golden brown. Scoop out the shallots. Set aside.
- Use the shallot oil to pan-fry/brown ground turkey. When the meat is cooked through, add mushrooms and white color parts of scallion. Keep stir-frying until the mushrooms turn soft. If the saute pan is too dry, add 1-2 tbsp water. Scoop out the meat. Set aside to cool. Add ½ lime juice and ½ lime zest.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to pan-fry the shrimps until they turn pink. Season with a little bit of salt if desired. Set aside.
- Make Egg wraps: Heat a small non-stick pan with 1tsp ghee. Mix all ingredients under “egg wraps”. Whisk well. Add ¼ cup egg mixture to the saute pan and give it a gentle swirl. Turn heat down to medium/medium-low. Pan-fry the eggs until the edge is crisp and in light golden brown. Repeat the process. Set egg wraps aside.
- Dipping sauce: Combine ingredients under “dipping sauce”.
- To serve: Scoop 2 tbsp of filling (meat + shrimps) onto one half of the egg wrap. Fold the egg in half and slide it onto a plate. Slice the egg wraps into sections and wrap each section with lettuce, mint, cucumber, and basil. Serve immediately with my Paleo and Whole30 friendly dipping sauce.
Sharing is loving and I appreciate you like my recipe. If you’d like to use an image and/or a recipe from my site for your own blog and/or business, please send me an email requesting permission and make sure to include a link back to my original post. All photos and recipes in this blog are © 8020 creative LLC unless stated otherwise.