Paleo Curried Chicken Kale Fennel Salad
Light and refreshing Paleo summer kale salad recipe. Perfect meal prep and Whole30 salad recipe !
Marinate the chicken overnight for extra flavor !
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts , boneless skinless
- 1 bunch curly kale (about 23 oz. / 1.5 lbs)
- Half of one bulb fennel , thin sliced
- 2-3 red radishes , thin sliced
- ¾ to 1 small granny smith apple , thin sliced & diced
- 1 small shallot , finely chopped
Green curry chicken marinade (for 1.5 lbs chicken breasts):
- 2 tbsp green curry paste , store bought (alt. red/yellow curry paste)
- 3 to 3 ½ heaping tbsp , homemade curry flavor enhancer *(see recipe below)
Paleo lemon tahini dressing:
- 3 tbsp tahini paste , stir-well
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water (use 3-4 tbsp for thinner dressing)
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk , stir-well
- ⅛ + ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ + ¼ tsp cumin powder
- Fine sea salt to taste
Chicken: Flatten the chicken breasts and pound to an even thickness with the bottom of a wide jar. Add 2 tbsp store-bought curry paste + 3 to 3 ½ heaping tablespoons homemade curry flavor enhancer. Coat/smear the paste over chicken breasts evenly. Seal and store in an airtight glass container or ziplock bag. Marinate overnight in the fridge.
Grill: Heat the saute pan over medium-high heat with 1 1/2 tbsp ghee. When hot, lower the heat to medium. Slightly drip off the marinade. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for just about 1 minute to get a little golden on one side then flip to cook the other side for another 1 minute. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through. After the chicken is cooked through, leave the breasts in the pan, cover with a lid, and set aside to cool.*
Chop/Slice/Dice: Fold each kale leaves in half and cut along the stem. Discard the stem and chop leaves to desired size and rinse in a bowl of cold water. Dice/slice apple and radish into thin/small bite sizes. Finely mince 1 shallot. Cut the fennel bulb into quarters and slice crosswise*
Serve: Slice chicken breasts into bite size cubes and toss over kale, apple, radish, shallots, and fennel with lemon tahini dressing. Serve in room temperature or cold.
Homemade curry flavor enhancer: (blend everything in a food processor/blender until smooth. Store extra in ice cube trays in the freezer for up to 4 week.)
TIP: My curry flavor booster is meant to be a bit salty. This mixture will enhance any store-bought curry paste (red, green, or yellow curry paste). Use it with store-bought curry paste and there’s no need to add extra seasonings or salt. Add it curry pot, ground meat for burger patties, or chicken/pork marinade.
*How to tell when the chicken breasts are cooked through? Well, it depends on the quantity, thickness of the chicken breasts, the type of saute pan (cast iron or stainless steel), and the stovetop/grill temperature. In general, thin cut (or butterflied) chicken breasts will cook faster than thick slices. When in doubt, use an instant-read thermometer to check (the thickest part of the chicken should be at least 165°F/74°C).
* Use a mandolin slicer for an even finer and thinner cut fennel slices.
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot
- 1 small thumb size ginger
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 red or green fresno chili pepper, remove seeds (optional)
- Half lime zest + Half lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Red boat fish sauce
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Serving: 446g | Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 14.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 250mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 17350IU | Vitamin C: 293.7mg | Calcium: 370mg | Iron: 5.2mg