Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Super flavorful Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole recipe with thin sliced chicken breasts half-poached and half-baked in dairy-free milk cream. It’s creamy, rich, and cheesy tasting - just like your favorite chicken casserole recipe but Paleo Whole30 Keto friendly !
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 3 servings
- 1 lb. thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 large shallot sliced to thin strips
- 4-5 garlic cloves sliced
- 5 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- ⅔ to 1 cup full fat coconut milk stir-well + ¼ cup chicken broth
- Nutritional yeast
- Plus your favorite chicken dry-spice seasonings: mine is salt pepper, garlic powder, red pepper powder, and dry thyme or dill weed
Preheat oven to 400F. Season thin sliced chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper powder, and dry thyme or dill weed. Quickly sear both sides in a well-heated skillet with ghee to give a nice golden brown sear outside. Set them aside in a large baking casserole dish. The chicken doesn’t need to cook through at this point. We will finish cooking in the oven.
Saute garlic and shallots with ghee or avocado oil until fragrant. Season with little salt to bring out flavor. Layer them over chicken breasts. Add coconut milk + little chicken broth. Spread mushrooms over chicken. Sprinkle nutritional yeast. Bake at 400F for 20 mins, then turn up the heat to 410/420F for additional 5-10 mins.
Sprinkle with more nutritional yeast before serving. Serve with a side of simple salad and roasted potatoes for a complete meal.
- Tip: Feel free to swap chicken seasonings. The trick is to keep the seasonings simple. You want to enhance the flavor but to not over power it. :))
- Tip 2: Can’t find thin sliced chicken breasts? Butterfly them and lightly pound the breasts to about 1/4 -inch thick.
- Tip 3: For thicker sauce, scoop a few tablespoons of juice out of the baked casserole dish and thicken it with little arrowroot (or tapioca) if desired.
Serving: 151g | Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 946mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 0.9% | Vitamin C: 4.5% | Calcium: 1.5% | Iron: 8.5%