Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken (Paleo, Whole30)
Chinese sweet and sour chicken recipe with Paleo sweet and sour sauce made with pineapple juice. This Chinese sweet sour chicken comes together in 30 mins!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tbsp Avocado oil
- Quarter one whole Yellow onion diced
- 1 bulb Scallion chopped
- 2-3 slice ginger roughly chopped
- Half one whole green bell pepper cut into bite size cubes
- Half one whole red bell pepper cut into bite size cubes
Sweet and sour chicken sauce:
- 1/4 cup Dry apricots or figs, or pitted prunes
- 1/3 cup Pineapple juice fresh or from a can, not in heavy syrup
- 2 tbsp Coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tbsp Rice vinegar ,or 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Tomato paste
- 1 small Pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 tbsp Chicken stock or water
Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium heat until it's too hot to place your palm nearby, about 2-3 inches away. Add 1.5 tbsp of the avocado oil. Add the chicken in the skillet in one shallow layer and panfry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, flipping once to cook the other side for an additional 1 minute. Set aside along with the chicken juice.
Heat the remaining 1.5 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat in the same skillet, then lower the heat to medium. Add the onion, scallion, and ginger. Season with a small pinch of salt. Stir-fry for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the bell peppers. Season with another small pinch of salt and stir-fry for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the chicken back to the skillet. Add 3 to 4 heaping tablespoons of the sweet-and-sour sauce. Keep stir-frying until the chicken is completely cooked through. Serve hot and immediately.
- Thinly slice and season the chicken. Store in the refrigerator if using the next day, or otherwise in the freezer. defrost overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Pre-make the sweet and sour chicken sauce. Store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 647mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg