Paleo Chinese Sesame Chicken (paleo, whole30, gluten-free)
Paleo Chinese Sesame Chicken recipe with juicy chicken and Whole30 sesame chicken sauce. This Paleo Sesame Chicken is healthy and with no added sugar.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs and breasts boneless skinless
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp arrowroot powder alt. tapioca
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- White sesame seeds garnish
- Chopped scallions garnish
- Ginger ,2 to 3 thin slices
- 1 large garlic clove ,thin sliced
Paleo Sesame Chicken Sauce:
Chicken: Dice chicken to small bite-sizes (small cube shape) and season with salt, pepper, ginger, arrowroot powder, and olive oil. Mix well and set aside.
Sauce: Pulse dates, garlic clove, and ginger in a small food processor a few times until finely chopped. Add the rest of ingredients under “sauce”. Toss/blend a few more times until the sauce is smooth and no fruit chunks.
Pan-fry: Pre-heat a large stainless steel skillet (without oil) over low heat until it’s well heated (about 4-5 mins), add avocado oil and pan fry the chicken in separate batches (not to overcrowd the skillet). Don’t touch or move the chicken pieces until you see the bottom layer is in golden brown then cook the flip side until they are about 90-95% cooked through. Set aside with chicken juice in the skillet.
Combine: Add a bit more cooking oil to the skillet, saute ‘aromatics’ with a sprinkle of salt until fragrant. Add 3-4 heaping tbsps of sesame chicken sauce*, quickly stir-fry the sauce with aromatics for 8-10 seconds then add the chicken back to the skillet. Coat the sauce over chicken pieces and stri-fry for a few additional minutes until they are cooked through. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve hot and immediately with steamed broccoli florets or any simple mixed green salad of your choice.
- Complete Steps 1 and 2. Store the sauce in food glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If it becomes to thick, add 1 tbsp water/broth to thin the paste before using.
- Dice chicken to small bite sizes and add seasonings. Store in food glass container in the fridge if use the next day or store flat in large freezer friendly ziplock bags for later use. In Step 4, feel free to add more sauce if preferred.
Serving: 190g | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 513mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2.4% | Vitamin C: 1.6% | Calcium: 2.4% | Iron: 7.9%