Homamde Chicken Korma
Delicious Homemade Chicken Korma, made with tons of fresh herbs and my secret homemade curry flavor booster that adds so much more flavor to any Paleo curry dish. This dish is also Whole30 curry recipe friendly !
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tbsp Coconut or avocado oil
- 2 large shallots , sliced to thin strips lengthwise
- 5 1/2 tbsp homemade korma paste , see below
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast or thighs , thinly sliced to bite sizes
- 1 lb pumpkin or butternut squash , cut into bite-size chunks
- 14.5 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp mint leaves , garnish, finely chopped (optional)
Homemade korma paste:
- 5 large Garlic cloves , peeled
- 1 tbsp sliced ginger
- 1 piece fresh Serrano, Fresno, or jalapeno green or red pepper
- 4 tbsp shredded coconut , unsweetened
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley , plus more for ganish
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
Optional garnish (if making crispy shallots):
- 1 large shallot , slice to thin strips lengthwise
- Coconut or avocado oil
Make Chicken Korma Curry:
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan or deep frying pan over medium-high heat, when hot, add sliced shallots and 5 to 5 ½ tbsp homemade korma paste. Keep stir-frying the ingredients to prevent them from burning for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add sliced chicken. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Add pumpkin or butternut squash and coconut milk. Give it a gentle stir. Cover the pan with a lid and bring to a gentle simmering. Stir the bottom of the pan periodically to prevent food from sticking. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the squash are fork tender.
(optional) To serve, sprinkle finely chopped mint/cilantro/parsley and topped with crispy shallots.
(Optional Step) Make Crispy Shallots:
Slice 1 large shallot into long thin strips. Heat 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil in a wok or frying pan over medium/medium-high heat. When hot, add the sliced shallots, season with a small pinch of salt. Pan fry and stir frequently for 8-10 mins or until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the shallots. Use a slotted spoon and scoop them onto a tray lined with paper towel. Spread them out to crisp up further.
Serving: 429g | Calories: 499kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 282mg | Potassium: 1425mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 200.9% | Vitamin C: 22.5% | Calcium: 6.7% | Iron: 36.4%