Chicken Bone Broth (instant pot and stovetop recipes)
A traditional Asian style chicken bone broth soup with shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and daikon radish. It will keep you warm and healthy throughout the winter. Paleo, Whole30, Keto friendly recipe. Authentic Paleo Asian food recipe.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 3.8 lb whole chicken
- 2 medium size loose carrots cubed
- 2 ½ cups daikon raddish cubed (use a vegetable peeler to peel the outer skin first then cube)
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced (rehydrate the mushrooms a night before and keep the mushroom water)
- 3 tbsp goji berries optional
- 4 large Chinese red dates alt. medjool dates
- 2 tea leaf bags mixed variety of Chinese dry herbal ingredients for chicken stew use optional, (ginseng, astragalus root)
Rinse the chicken under cold water. Pat dry. (optional) trim the chicken skin and extra fat.
Place the whole chicken in a large size about 6 Qt. pot. Add all the ingredients (from items 1 through 7).
Fill the pot with mushroom water and cold water up to 3.5 Qt. (* leave extra room to prevent over boiling)
For Stove top method:
Start with high heat. After boiling, turn the heat down to simmer for 60-80 minutes.
(optional) Add Chinese cooking rice wine in the end before turning off the heat
- It took the instant pot 35 minutes to cook the broth with 20 minutes to pressurize and another 30 minutes to naturally de-pressurize. You can absolutely follow the same recipe for a stove-top version. The total cooking time for a stove-top version is about 80 minutes over medium-low heat after the soup pot reaches a boiling state.
- If you are not strict on alcohol consumption, most traditional Asian chicken bone broth adds 1-2 tbsp Chinese rice cooking wine in the cooking process for extra flavor.
Serving: 425g | Calories: 794kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 43.8g | Saturated Fat: 12.5g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 800mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 76% | Vitamin C: 29% | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 21%