Shrimp In Tomato Cream Sauce (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
Shrimp in Tomato Cream Sauce with a luscious dairy-free pink sauce and easy to make. This creamy shrimp pasta with tomato sauce is healthy, gluten-free and simply divine!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 1 clove garlic about 0.4 oz.
- 1 large shallot or a small yellow onion about 3 oz.
- 1 lb. large shrimp peeled and deveined with tail on
- 2 ts[ arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Coarse sea salt or Takii’s umami mushroom powder to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut amions or 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- 14.5 oz. Canned fire Roasted Tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk creamer i.e. dairy-free coffee creamer half-and-half
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Small handful parsley or chives chopped for garnish
Finely mince the garlic and shallot. Set them aside in one bowl.
Pat dry the shrimp with a clean paper towel and butterfly them.
Lightly dust the shrimp with arrowroot on both sides.
In a well-heated skillet, add olive oil. Saute garlic and shallots over medium heat with a pinch of salt until they sweat a bit, about 30 seconds.
Add the shrimp and pan fry them over medium heat until the color changes to pale light pink. This will happen quite quickly about 30 seconds per side.
Add coconut aminos, stock, and tomatoes. Spread the tomato sauce over the skillet to cover the shrimp evenly. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for about 7 to 8 minutes. Gently push the sauce around periodically to ensure even cooking and nothing is stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
Scoop out the shrimp, set them over a large pasta serving bowl, and cover with a foil to keep warm. Leave the tomato and the sauce in the skillet.
Add the milk creamer and ghee. Turn up the heat to high and stir the sauce with a wooden spoon until it thickens, about 2 minutes for thinner sauce and 3 minutes for thicker sauce.
Off heat, pour the sauce over the shrimp. Gently toss to coat it over. Season with black pepper to taste and garnish with chives or parsley.
- If adding pasta, cook the pasta noodles separately according to the package instructions and drain well. Add the noodles to the sauce at Step 8 to thicken with the tomato cream sauce together. You might need to adjust the time to reduce the sauce. You might also need to season with more salt to taste. If needs more sauce, try adding more milk creamer.
- To keep the meal Whole30 or low carb, serve it with mashed sweet potatoes or low carb fried rice.
- To keep it even lower in carb, pat dry the shrimp and skip the arrowroot dusting. Increase the time to reduce/thicken the sauce over a stovetop. You may also use Xanthan gum to thicken the sauce, if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 394mg | Sodium: 1506mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 548IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 278mg | Iron: 4mg