Steak with sweet chili basil sauce
A friend asked me to develop a new paleo steak sauce for her husband.
She wants something quick and easy with all local ingredients yet different than other regular sauces.
I immediate thought of a sauce that I love very much while in Thailand – the sweet chili basil sauce.
Hmm………how can you not love that perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and savory ?
Yum yum 🙂
It goes without saying that sugar is a main reason that makes this sauce tastes so wonderful. But that doesn’t sound very paleo, does it ?
I decided to take the matter into my own hands and make it paleo friendly.
I have to say – I am pretty proud of how it turns out !
Do you love steak ?
Are you looking for a new steak pairing sauce ?
Give my paleo version of sweet chili basil sauce a try.
I bet it will be one of your favorites too !
Steak with sweet chili basil saucePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb Tenderloin steak
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee or fat of your choice
- Pound the garlic and chilies together using a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix coconut aminos, balsamic vinegar, fish sauce, and 1 tsp ground black pepper.
- Heat the wok or a saute pan with 2 tbsp ghee over high heat.
- Add the garlic and chili mixture and stir-fry for a few seconds, then pour in the "sauce" mixture.
- Add the basil leaves and mix everything together well then take off of the heat.
- Lightly season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the steak (broil or grill) until it is done to your liking.
- Slice the steak into pieces and transfer to a serving plate.
- Pour over the sauce the sauce and serve immediately