Paleo Shawarma Chicken Salad – Perfect everyday Paleo Shawarma Salad.
Have you heard of a Mediterranean restaurant called Nanoosh?
I thought they were a large new chain restaurant with branches across the States, but it turns out they only have a few stores in Manhattan and one location in Berlin.
I know what you are thinking. Chain restaurants? Does it taste like school cafeteria?
I had the same doubts as you do until last week, when I had the opportunity to experience probably one of my best chicken salad experience in NYC that’s under $15, and best of all it’s paleo friendly!
So what exactly is Shawarma Chicken?
According to Wikipedia, Shawarma is type of “roasted meat, especially when cooked on a revolving spit and shaved for serving in sandwiches.”
If you are my regular readers, you’d know that I am quite into fitness recently. And this dish, my friends, fits right into the fitness category –
– Easy to make ? Check ✓
– Good in large batches (i.e. re-heat friendly in microwave) ? Check ✓
– Lean protein ? Check ✓
– Veggies ? Check ✓
– DELICIOUS ?? Check Check ✓✓
If this sounds like your bowl of salad, I encourage you not to miss this new dish.
So are you ready to make your version of Nanoosh at home?
Paleo Shawarma Chicken Salad !
- 2 ½ lbs skinless/boneless chicken breast
- 1 box your favorite mixed greens
- 1-2 avocadod
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil for sauteing
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp Greek plain coconut yogurt alt. Greek plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 tsp dry oregano or thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- ⅓ cup Tahini no sugar added.
- ⅓ cup water or more water if desired
- 2 small cloves garlic grated
- ½-¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Slice the chicken into smaller cubes/chunks and mix with the ingredients under “chicken marinade” and coat well. Marinade overnight.
Heat 1 ½ tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet and saute the chicken until cooked through. Set the chicken aside to cool.
If there's lot of liquid remains in the skillet, thicken the sauce for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Combine chicken with mixed greens, avocado and enjoy with the tahini dressing.