Shakshuka Eggs with Sweet Potatoes – eggs in tomato sauce
Paleo Shakshuka Eggs with Sweet Potatoes in Tomato Sauce. Easy one-skillet breakfast recipe. Paleo, Whole30, and Gluten-free.
The first thing I tried to cook before I was even tall enough to reach a stove is – you guessed it – EGGS!!
So it only makes sense that I’m so drawn into this tomato sauce simmered eggs – Paleo shakshuka eggs – as soon as I lay my eyes on them.
This is also an excellent breakfast or pre/after workout snack to keep your blood sugar steady.
I added cubes of sweet potato to make it more substantial so I won’t have cravings for toast or bread later on.
Instead of baking it, I cook it on a stovetop and cover the skillet with a lid to “bake” the eggs. Top with your favorite greens/herbs before serving.
So if you love eggs and are craving a savory snack that’s so good for you and the family, give this Paleo shakshuka eggs a try. I guarantee it will become a family favorite !
Shakshuka with Sweet Potatoes - eggs in tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz diced tomato, no salt added, 1 can
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 small garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili pepper or cayenne pepper
- Handful Basil or cilantro, finely chopped
- 5-6 large eggs
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute garlic, shallot with a pinch of sea salt until fragrant.
- Add sweet potato and continue to saute for about 5-10 minutes until the the potato turn slightly tendered.
- Add cumin, turmeric, chilli pepper powder. Mix well and then add 1 can (14.5oz) of diced tomato sauce.
- Give it a gentle stir then turn the heat down to medium/medium-low.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let the potato and tomato sauce simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to create small wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each one and cover the lid.
- It depends on your personal egg preference. I like my egg yolks slightly soft but be sure to cook until the egg white is set.
- Top with your favorite greens or basil or cilantro.
- (optional) Drizzle with a dash of good olive oil & Enjoy !