Keto Scallion Pancakes
These healthy Paleo and Keto Scallion Pancakes are full of flavor, low carb, and easy to make. They taste just like your favorite Chinese Scallion Pancakes, but are gluten and flour starch free. Serve it with my signature Scallion Pancakes Sauce and enjoy your favorite dish without the guilt !
Keto Scallion Pancakes – healthy, low carb, full of flavor
It took me almost 4 weeks to develop a recipe for Keto Scallion Pancakes. Originally I was working on a prototype that used cassava flour and arrowroot starch. Nate and I had fun with the starchy version but after a few weeks of trial and error and dozens of doughs sitting in my freezer, both of us got tired of eating them, given that we both prefer fewer carbs. Don’t get me wrong. I like the Paleo version of Scallion Pancakes and my friend Amanda has a wonderful Paleo version you should give it a try.
How to make healthy Keto Scallion Pancakes
To make low carb healthy Keto Scallion Pancakes you’ll need:
- Cauliflower chopped to couscous size in a food processor
- Ground flaxseed meal
Mix the batter well and set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the flaxseed meal to bloom. It’s easy, quick, flavorful, and you know these pancakes won’t weigh you down.
Treat them gently
Remember they aren’t real dough so treat these pancakes gently when pan-frying. It takes a bit practice (and a few fun tricks) to flip them but I have faith in you that you can absolutely do this !
Check out How to make Keto Scallion Pancakes Video below:
How to make Scallion Pancakes Sauce – gluten and soy-free
To make my signature gluten and soy-free Scallion Pancakes Sauce you’ll need –
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional)
- Sprinkle of chopped scallions and toasted white sesame seeds
My scallion pancake dipping sauce is a must-have. You simply cannot get away with eating scallion pancakes without a killer dipping sauce. I have a similar version for Paleo Dim Sum -Shumai dumpling dipping sauce. Be sure to check it out if you love shumai dumplings !
These Paleo and Keto Scallion Pancakes are –
Keto and Paleo
Plus a ridiculously yummy Scallion Pancakes Sauce
If you give this Keto Scallion Pancakes recipe a try, let me know ! Leave a comment and rate the recipe. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #IHeartUmami on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. XOXO !
Keto Scallion Pancakes recipe
- In a 4-cup (small) food processor finely chop 2 cups cauliflower rice to couscous size. Microwave for 1 and half minutes until the cauliflower couscous are slightly softer. Set aside to cool then squeeze out the liquid content as much as you can with a cheesecloth or clean kitchen towel.
- Combine the rest of ingredients. Mix well and set the mixture aside for 5-10 minutes. In the meantime preheat a cast iron skillet (or any skillet you have that won’t stick) over low heat.
- When the skillet is well-heated, add 1 tbsp avocado oil (for a 9-inch cast iron skillet) and swirl the oil around to grease the skillet evenly, pour the mixture in and quickly and gently spread the mixture evenly around the skillet. Pan fry over low heat for about 5 minutes or until the edge is in light golden brown. Make sure it cooks all sides. Pay attention to the stovetop temperature.
- Because the pancake is gluten-free, it’s a little more fragile than a conventional pancake, so it’s helpful if you flip it as follows: when you’re ready to flip, place a flat plate upside-down over the pan, and invert so the pancake falls out, cooked-side-up, on the plate. Then, put the pan back on the burner, and simply let the pancake slide laterally back into the pan. Because the raw side is against the plate, the pancake might leave residue as it slides down. This is normal!
- Cook the flip side for about 3 minutes until golden brown. Gently shake the skillet while cooking to keep the flip side from sticking. Slide the pancake out and cool over a wire rack so that the bottom won’t get soggy. Slice to wedges and serve in room temperature with my Scallion Pancakes Sauce.